Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lack of movement - now lack of brakes! - Found the fault now need help fixing. - Now fixed

Chaz23

Ahhh!

On Welsh blat and I am starting to have some major issues with movement or lack of. Everything was fine until I pulled into a car park at lyn brenig when i heard a clonk and lost movement both forwards and backwards ( backwards worse). Once car was cool it seemed fine until I got to camp site when i lost movement trying to go backwards.

Any ideas what it could be?

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

Edited by - Chaz23 on 17 Aug 2009 11:34:19

Edited by - Chaz23 on 18 Aug 2009 20:15:26

Edited by - Chaz23 on 23 Aug 2009 18:14:34

Not sure from the description but do you mean loss of drive or the car won't roll fore/aft without additional power?

Loss of drive sounds like a clutch problem, the latter sounds like brakes (maybe handbrake) binding which when the pads/shoes etc cool slacken off and allow free movement. This would be a sticky caliper of slave cyclinder not backing off after braking resulting in excess heat/expansion.

Probably not much you can do at the roadside without tools/parts for either of the above. ☹️

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

After today I have pretty much sussed that it is the breaks.

She is running better but only if I don't want to go in reverse.

Steve, from your discription you could well be right as it really went bad after lots of heavy breaking. Will do a overhaul on the breaks this weekend with my dad.

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

keep your breaks for the Kit-Kats

You need all the braking on your car you can get!

Sorry to hear of your woes and I hope they can be sorted quickly.

I also appreciate that your message is probably coming from a mobile phone (or similar)

Edited by - Rollbar on 17 Aug 2009 11:47:18

Rollbar, yep I was using iPhone and it was a bit nippy.

Finally home but went to start car to move it to the garage and I had a dead battery!

So it looks like I will be spending a bit of time in the garage this next week.

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

Right I have now diagnosed the original fault.

First have a look at:

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/55/555/3/60/21/2886360210101595677crPqce_th.jpg

And see if you can spot what is wrong.

Yep there is a brake pad missing. Think that was what the clonk might have been.

Now how do you change the pads of these? The reason I ask is because the manual says that I need a special tool.

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

Edited by - Chaz23 on 18 Aug 2009 20:17:23

Yes using a 'winding tool' wil help.

This can be bought from most 'good' car spare stores or Halfords.

I haven't used one but the principal is that it applies pressure to force the piston back while also rotating. I think you can use pliers but a slip and you could end up damaging the piston bore etc.

NB. Be careful now you have the caliper off as I found that by moving the hand brake actuater leaver 'just to see what it does' the piston came right out of the housing

Good luck

Richard

Thing is - how did it get out? It's trapped in.

I have successfully would back pistons with a bit of bent brass bar - but trying to wind and press in with sufficient force to make it all work wasn't fun. I might just by the proper tool next time - and it might fit the integrale too, 'cos that was even less fun!

Bri

Make sure you get the one for Ford calipers. I believe there are ones with differing pin configurations. Wind the piston clockwise to retract it back into the caliper. I too and wondering how on earth the pad escaped unless you bought them from a chap named Harry Houdini 😬

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

It looks as though you'll be needing new rear disks as the piston will have damaged the disc. I wore a rear pad down to the backing once, new pads installed & the very slightly scored disc wore that pad out in half the time. New discs are cheap though.

... but can be fun to fit ...... the bolts that hold the disc to the rotor have very thin heads, and can be difficult to remove .... see recommendations to grind the radius off the end of a socket, so you get maximum contact with the depth of the bolt head. Mine were heavily loctited in place and needed a lot of persuasion ... including soaking in PlusGas, and blue flames on some.

You'll also need a 41mm socket for the hub nuts (assuming it is a de Dion car ?) one being LH thread one RH

From those pics. you have sticking calipers as its the pad next the piston that's gone i.e. its doing all the work whilst the opposing one is stuck there not moving Just my 2d worth *confused*

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

I had this on my Mazda ....... nearside brake sticking, got red hot. Wound piston back in, fitted new pads, all seemed ok, caliper parts moved freely (and contact surfaces lubricated with CopaSlip). 10k later found pads worn to nothing this side only, offside fine. Replaced caliper this time ........ seems ok so far, so presumably piston was sticking in bore.

Chaz ... have you ever replaced the brake fluid ? Should be done every few years, as any water absorbed into the fluid sinks below the brake fluid = ends up in the calipers and causes corrosion.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 19 Aug 2009 14:41:24