Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing stays......Part 2

Colin Grundy

I know this is not too technical and I apologise in advance, But has anyone got a photo of a flared wing stay in position. I received one reply yesterday, but I think they must have been changed he fitted his.

The problem I have (apart from being a total duffer) is that the manual gives you no clue whatsoever of how these things fit. You assume that it fits onto the rear of the top wishbone, but how ,in what position and at what angle I've no idea. The beast in question is a long curved type of bar and a vertical tubular bit that branches off it that is hollow (presumably for the headlamp wires to fit through) and then another branching off with a flat end. Help........before I go mad

Thanks for patience

The curved part of the stay is what the wing sits on/is secured to, so it should be horizontal(ish) not vertical, when fitted to the car. Hold it up to the car thus, and it should be reasonably clear........I have never fitted a Caterham one, but the flat end sounds like it should be secured by the bolt through top wishbone or shock mount. The round (horizontal 🤔) tube should pass through some sort of clamp, attached to the chassis, somewhere near the headlamp.

Thanks for the response Blatman, unfortunately the bracket from hell doesn't have a hole in the flat bit to secure it anywhere and the round hollow vertical tube bit doesnt have a bracket to secure it anywhere. B.....er it I'll just let the wings flap so I take off.

Frustrated and feeling tottaly inadequate!!

The stay has to fit onto the chassis otherwise the wing will flap as you go over road imperfections! THere should be some sort of clamp on the chassis directly above the rear of the upper wishbone that hold the stay.

I know this is a daft question, but are there holes down the side of the engine bay either - because it might be that you've got a cycle arch chassis and not a flared arch chassis!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks Graham

Its definately a flared wing chassis, all the bolt holes line up to the holes in the wing .I was paranoid that it wouldn't be (I love my clamshells). Its probable me being a bit thick.Been onto technical and Mark explained that there has been considerable variations of these damn brackets but apart from the big mounting hole that bolts to the rear of the top wishbone, nothing else seems to look right! And I thought the assembly guide looked easy to follow!!