Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Yoko 032 for daily use

IanWatson

Hi all,

I'm currently running my HPC on the original 16" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1s.

The car also came with a set of 13" minilites with Yokohama 032s fitted.

The previous owner used the 16" for road driving and 13" wheels for the track - his feeling was it wasn't possible to get enough heat into the Yokos on the road.

My comparative Caterham experience is zero - this car on the 16" wheels only, but I do feel there's a little too much tramlining.I also much prefer the look of the 13" minilites despite the HPC 'period' look :)

Is anyone else using 032s for regular road use?

I'd check the age/condition of the 032s. IIRC they were discontinued (for 13" at least) several years ago, and effectively superceded by 048s. Plus, if they were used for alot

of trackdays, they will have degraded through heat cycles.

Other than that, I'm sure many people have driven with them on the road, and a few

still do. Nothing wrong with 32s, 48s or Toyo 888s on the road. Be careful in standing water and all that. Going from 16s to 13s might give you ride height issues, depending on the profiles of the 16s you have. Check your sump clearance!

[if its tramlining, I'd double check the tracking as well]

AB

Edited by - Alan Bowler on 14 Aug 2009 10:39:16

• Area Representative

Yoko 21s on 13" wheels are great for all round road use.

Tyre was/is designed as a "race wet" if I understand things correctly. I have used them all year round, all weathers on the Seven (although it is on SORN at the moment) for the past six or seven years.

http://www2.yokohama-online.com/gb/tyre-products-view.php?tyreID=1018

If you only take the Seven out in the dry, then 32s or 48s. *thumbup*

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

I've been through quite a few tyre combinations for both track & road. For the past few years I've been using Yoko 48's on 13" wheels & for me they work well on track & on the road. Just completed 2400 miles in France, Italy & Switzerland on part worn 48's & yes it is possible to get reasonable heat in the tyres on the road, especially some of the mountain passes we enjoyed. Arrived back with 3mm tread left in pouring rain on the M25. The tyres never missed a beat & there was plenty of standing water around: just be gentle with throttle, brake & steering inputs & they'll do what's required.

George Polley website for Yokohama offerings: here.

Best buy from Polley are 21's in 185/70/13 profile.

I've always used 32's and 48's and found them to be excellent on the road and track in the dry. As for wet road driving, i think you have to be double carefull which ever tyre you use.

Something else i thought of, if your going from 16" wheels to 13" your going to experience a massive difference in gear ratios. It'll be very low geared!

sorry to be different

I have 032 for track and for me, they are not fun on the road

at legal speed

many gravels ( in the wing if not in the face)

no comfort

noise

no security when cold or wet

when they will be finihed, why don't you use a road tyre as Yoko A539 in 13"

I have RE 720 Bridgestone but they are discontinued

main advantages

your 7 will fly on a soft carpet

with light slides you can control with throttle

Otherwise you drive a train and it is not fun

On the other hand, you can drive secure on the wet

but a seven still sty a seven ....

I've used all ACB10s, old A032s and new CR500s in the wet this year and the comments above about being judicious with use of accelerator are what it's all about. I had an accelerator induced slide (a small one) only last week on CR500s in torrential rain.

I think the right foot is more important than the tyre, because they will all slide given not much acceleration. Granted I write in context of an R500 which have a bit of a reputation for acceleration induced issues.

Anthony