Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fibreglass over a foam seat

Z3MCJez

Having sought the wisdom of Blatchat when making my seat, I'm going to be making another soon (to improve some of the side support in the backrest, principally).

Anyway, whilst I love the fit of the foam seat, and I use the car for racing so don't care too much about what it looks like, I want to know if anyone has covered the foam with fibreglass (or something else) rather than the ubiquitous gaffa tape, to:

1) Make it last longer

2) Make it look like a permanent part of the car.

Anyone, or thoughts on how easy it would be to do?

Jez

Build Photos

Steve - I'm not that worried about comfort (on the basis that I assume it will be like a better fitting Caterham tillet). You don't know how they did it do you? I really have no experience of glass fibre / fibreglass ...

Giles - What sort of paint do you mean? When I painted my garage floor it was a "hard" finish. I've done a quick google, but only came up with "highly flammable" road-line paint, which is hardly suitable 😳

Bob - I think what you're suggesting would lose the key aim of better fit that I'm really looking for. Or I've misread and the foam is between kart seat and driver, at which point the seat becomes slightly superfluous for my aims ...

All ideas good though! Thanks and please keep them coming!

Jez

Build Photos

Jez, why not give Steve Tillett a shout? He's a nice bloke, and reasonably local. There's loads of stuff on the web regarding laying up your own fibreglass, by the looks of things, it will be tough to get a good finish!

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

I covered mine with black car apolstry fabric fixed with spray on carpet adhesive. Another idea I had was to use wet suit neoprene the nylon faced stuff. If you want just a smooth hard finish then coat the foam seat with car body filler rub it down and spray it with the colour of your choice.

Gaffa tape looks naff and goes sticky when the sun hits it, it will muck up your race suit, yuk *thumbdown*

Rob

• Area Representative

Jez,

Looking at garage paints online now, it appears that they mostly are hard finish nowadays. I'm getting old obviously, they used to be available in a rubber finish.

Such things sort of still exist though, as they use similar things inside some swimming pools on the walls and in flexible roof coating applications.

Found this that may do the job, a spray on version of the sort of thing I meant.

Cheers,

Giles

-----Beryl the Peril (HPC)

Do not rush to cover in fibre glass as this stuff is a lot harder to get a neat finish than it looks. There is a product called progrip with is about 1.5mm thick foam, its strong comes in all colours and can be wrapped around edges, as used on windsurfing booms and comes in all sizes. It will take a bit of cutting etc, use contact adhesive to stick down. done. Best of luck.

I just sprayed my wishbones with that Rubber spray paint (in Black) and it looks pretty good. I stripped them with Nitromors and wirewool (what a PITA), painted on the primer and then gave them a few costs and Robert is your mother's brother...

I will be doing the lower wishbones next week and will put some pictures up when I get around to it, but for about £7 it is good stuff, It adheres well, sets firm but still pliable. We will see how it stands up to the road rash next year when I finally get the car finished :)

Jon

-----------------------------------

She is back in my garage, ready for a re-build.

1992 LA, Xflow, Ford axle

I've got some of this in the post (primer and aerosol spray) to try it on a foam seat. I'd be interested to see the photos, but also for a write-up once you've used it in anger. I appreciate this may be some time. I'll do the same. Probably do the seat in a couple of weeks time.

Jez

Build Photos

• Area Representative

John and Jez,

I've just had to check back further up this thread on Page 1 and while I thought the suggestion I made in my first post made sense, I am glad that it read "Would that work?", seeing as you've both taken the plunge.

😬 Keep us posted when piccies available, won't you?

Giles

Beryl the Peril (HPC)