Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Combined radiator & cooler

Pendennis

I have heard of a new Pace combined water radiator/oil cooler, but cannot seem to find any technical information from Caterham website and to date not got a reply from the parts dept yet.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the item or provide me surface area of both heat exchangers *confused* Better still a picture would be great *thumbup*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

I haven't heard about this BUT a lot of folk who fitted the PACE Caterham Dry Sump system also fitted a Think Automotive Laminova which is a water oil intercooler.

Commonly fitted in one of the scavenge lines it during warm up transfers water heat to the oil promoting faster oil temp increase , and at a later stage prevents the oil temp getting ahead of water temp by passing excess oil temp into the water cct to be removed in the radiator. *wavey*

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

By the look of the photo it is a separate water/oil cooler & not an intercooler like the Laminova. Neat packaging though.

On second thoughts it may have been more user friendly to have separate interchangeable units (still side by side) connected by brackets. So if the water rad gets holed one doesn't have to replace the oily bits at the same time.

I've retro-fitted the R500 split rad to my series 3. I can get you some dimensions from it this evening if you still need them Ian.

I needed to mill away a small amount of the side ducting on it to clear my freestyle front suspension but otherwise it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure if/how it'd clear a front arb since I'm not running one.

I bought the rad mountings from CC as well. I had to change the rad angle since the position the brackets put it in for the R500 will foul a S3 nosecone.

There are some pics in one of the diary entries on my website if that helps.

I can't comment on how effective I've found the cooling as I've not run the car in anger yet. The cooling fins for the water rad are horizontal rather than vertical as they were on my old rad.

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Edited by - k80rum on 11 Aug 2009 18:07:46

Cheers Dave, thanks for your remarks *thumbup* And yes Mick, it has two seperate circuits *thumbup*

Cheers Darren *wavey* I spoke to Caterham earlier today who gave me the surface area of the heat exchanger. It's 95mm wide and 260mm high. It is a 7 row cooler with jic12 connections. Unfortunately, they could not provide me with flow rates or oil capacity. My estimation is it would be inadequate for my application.

Ps. Saw 138C during Sunday's race 😳 So conventional 16 row route for me *wink*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?