Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing Brake Pads

Steve Campbell

Having just completed a track day at Cadwell I'm looking to replace the pads all round 😬

Have searched the threads so just looking for confirmation...

It's a 1997 SS and as far as I know, standard all round. I only do 2 or 3 track days a year.

The wisdom on here seems to say :

Rears stay standard (which is Mintex MDB1287)

Front change to Mintex 1144

...and get them from Questmead

Sound about right from my searching of techtalk ?

Thanks

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

I recently brought this up on the Grads Forum.

scroll down to about a fifth of the way down, under the red post entitled "Brands-Race Prep-Make sure nothings going to fall off your car"

The pads suggested here are apparently the best the racers have found for track use. they will be hard and comprimise cold use on the road, and increase disc wear though.

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Edited by - James_Russell on 10 Aug 2009 12:47:39

Edited by - James_Russell on 10 Aug 2009 12:54:23

James,

Thanks for that. I'm really looking for something adequate for 95% road use. I recently had a drive of a friends R300 which had a lot more stopping power so was wondering if the 1144's might help a little. I've been relatively happy with the standard set-up all round but thought the 1144 might be a little better.

Cheers, Steve

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

I recently had this analogy explained to me when talking brake pads.

Imaging a scale of 1-10, with 1 being cardboard brake pads and 10 being a scaffold pole shoved through the wheels;

Standard fit pads are about a 3

Mintex 1144 are about a 4

Pagid blue are around 6-7

I'll let you guess what I now have fitted. They are not cheap (c. £130), but boy were they good yesterday on track. I won't be going back.

The performance cold is no worse than standard pads or 1144 - probably slightly better.

I have not suffered on the road in terms of poorer performance as a result of having them fitted, quite the opposite.

However, it was on the track yesterday that I became the king of braking. I could brake later and later, it was fantastic. Although my passenger did try to do a little braking of their own, in the way that you do when you think someone ought to be stopping by now. Fortunatley there was only one brake pedal and I had it 😬

In terms of upgrades, actually a very cheap way to get much better performance out of the car. If I was any good on the track and had been timing, I imaging that the better brakes would have made a biger different than a few grands worth of extra horses under the bonnet.

Hi Steve,

I posted HERE a couple of weeks back. I had standard pads all round, upgraded the front pads and now have problems with not enough bite at the rear.

I am buying a new set of uprated rear pads from a blatchatter to try to compensate.

Just thought I'd warn you. *smile*

Dave

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport race car

• Area Representative

Don't forget that keeping a good front to rear bias is important.

If you have very powerfull fronts, but the backs are not working, then you won't have the stopping power that you should have!

Likewise, if you are over braked at the rear, the car will become unstable under heavy braking, as the rears lock before the fronts.

With a normal road set up, and standard pads all around, the bias is a little to the rear.

A swap to M1144's moves the bias just a little too much to the front.

If the Caterham pads (that used to be designated by flashes of blue paint) that are intended to be used with the AP 4pot fronts, are used, with 1144's in the front, then the balance will be improved.

I've used this set up for the last six years for a mixture of road, sprint and hillclimb, and the odd track day. It has worked well enough for me.

Incidentally, I tried "Green stuff" and found it very inconsistent. I never knew what was going to happen when I pressed the brake pedal!

Hmmm. Sorry guys. I'm a bit confused now (too many racers giving opinions 😳 *wink*)

So...I've been happy with the standard stuff up to now, but if I have an option for reasonable money....I wouldn't mind improving braking. Current is absolute standard.

Going M1144 on the fronts is likely to upset the balance...so I don't want to do that.

Can you go M1144 all round (I'm assuming the numbers have something to do with the material rather than a size or something ?) ...spot the numpty !

If yes, presume this would give me slight enhancement, be good on the road or track (for the few I do) and will give me the same balance ?

Last question, if M1144 (or M1287) is the "compound"...what do I order at my local motor factors to get the right size etc (ie what's the product code for Mintex) for the standards and/or the 1144's.

Thanks for all the replies..I'm not looking to be king of trackdays, just get a little bit more stopping power but without altering the feel of the brakes for everyday use. If I'm going to compromise that, I'd probably rather stay on the standards as I'm very used to that now.

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Mintex pads are decribed by shape / application and compound, so for the sierra rear calipers you'll want the following:

MDB1287 (pad shape)

M11XX where xx can be 42, 44, 55 etc (compound)

so, if you went with m1144 compoundont he fronts, then either a m1142 on the rear, or possibly a std pad?

Edited by - mav on 12 Aug 2009 13:35:59

I guess it's normal to receive different advice on pads. All our cars weigh different amounts, have different corner weights, tyres etc.

Why not try just 1144s up front first of all and see how you find it?

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport race car

Ok..so ...

Rears I need Mintex MBD1287, M1142 (or standard ...what's the standard number ?)

Fronts I need MBD????, M1144

What's the pad shape for the fronts...anyone know ?

Edited to say...and if I have standard all round now (I presume the standards have the same compound front and back) why don't I just go for M1144 all round ?)

Edited again to say I've found the answer in search

I

'm going for Mintex MGB533M1144 for the fronts and Mintex MBD1287M1144 for the rears and see how I get on.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by - Steve Campbell on 12 Aug 2009 12:55:03

Edited by - Steve Campbell on 12 Aug 2009 13:17:06

My Academy car came with standard pads front and rear. The rears would always lock first.

I upgraded to the Mintex 1144s and the balance is much further forwards. BUT, the rears still lock first.

I guess it's worth noting that I only use the brake *HARD* as I do very few miles on the road. I would think under normal conditions you would never be locking any of the wheels.

Also worth noting that I've got CR322s on - which don't have much grip. I would expect better tyres to move the balance further forward still (as you get more weight transfer forwards under braking).

Jez

Build Photos

Thanks all...as noted I'm going to try the 1144's all round.

On the road I am generally not pushing on very much so just looking for nice progressive feel...

Car is standard ss with 13" wheels and Toyo 888's.

Hope to get 1 more trackday in before the end of the year so will be interesting to see what I get !

Now just hunting for the best deal on the pads 😬

Edited by - Steve Campbell on 13 Aug 2009 10:40:19

Hmmm..OK...update

Have been advised to stick with standard compound for the rears.

BUT

Tried to order from Camskill Performance and they have said they have no stock and Mintex have them on order and will be 2 or 3 weeks delivery !! 😳

Need them faster than that. Have send Auto Performance Products (Questmead) an e.mail to see if they've got any.

Who else should I try if APP don't come up trumps ? Looking for someone who might have them in stock.

Thanks

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR