Click here if you are having website access problems ×

suspension problems

gordon ellis

I recently picked up a lovely 1991 live axel Caterham 7 with a 4 speed box and a 2l Dunnel Zetec engine. Set at 1 to 3 clicks all round the rid is excellent on normal low quality B roads. Unfortunetly cornering harder on sharp bends and roundabouts etc causes one of two problem. Loaded one up the front swept wings catch the front wheels as the car leans. Looking at the clearances the front end looks set too low . Loaded two up there is a sound from directly below the seating area around the central tunnel, this sound seems consistent with the prop shart rotation. The prop shaft seems to exit the rear tunnel not in the centre but shifted significantly to the drivers side and giving minimal right hand clearance. I recently had the A frame bushes replaced which has markedly improved the feel of the back suspension. The car does not have variable height shocks at the moment. Any advice on things to looks for and ways to get the setup up to scratch very much appreciated as the current config is very limiting.

Over the past few months there have been lots of discussions on this subject. I had similar problems with bottoming and resolved them by fitting stiffer springs to the front and rear. The rear still rolls enough under extreme load to catch the rear of the competition exhaust but it is nowhere near as bad as it was. If you want to chat give me a ring on 0161 797 6489 sometime.

Gordon,

I used to have the same problem with my live axle car. When cornering, the tyres rubbed on the flared arches and on right handers the side exit exhaust bottomed out. I tried all sorts of adjustments to damper settings but to no avail. I got over the flared arch problem by bending the wing stays up sufficiently to clear, but still had the exhaust problem. Measuring the ground clearance I found it to be about 25mm lower all round than recommended. Eventually the only solution was to fit adjustable spring seats - expensive but solved all problems especially when fitted with the latest spec Bilsteins and progressive rate rear springs! The ride and handling are now superb - given the limitations of the live axle.

Brent

Gordon,

I think it was about £295.00

But if you buy from Caterham, check they have fitted the spring seat circlips in the right groove on the damper body. They didn't on mine and when I fitted them the car was about 25mm too high even with the seats wound down to the minimum. I then had to take them off again and return to Dartford for mods!

But when it is right you will definitely find it worthwhile.

Brent