Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre stats - A539 Vs Stunner ??

skydragon

I don't know whether anyone will have this data to hand... but looking at this season's class 1 / class 2 results - does anyone know the stats are regarding who has used A539 tyres Vs Stunners in terms of class results placings?

(ie. what have the top guys/gals used?)

I don't think it's possible to get any clinical comparisons, too many other variables.

I did my first season on A539s and then swapped to stunners, while my times were faster, I'd put most of that down to experience. However having driven both, I would say that there is a slight (only)increase in grip with the Stunners.

Chris,

You can gain 2 tenths by swapping to Stunners, or 2 seconds by speaking to the comp secretary *thumbup* *tongue*. Sorry Malcolm *wink*.

In all seriousness, Malcolm lent me his Stunners at Curborough, so I’ve tried both types on the same car on the same day. For sprinting, Stunners are definitely better than 539’s. I’m sure there is more to be gained by just trying harder, but for me it’s also important to take away any excuses – so I binned the 539’s.

Jon

Ref >>If you're going to be able to use list 1b tyres next year I don't think there's any point spending a chunck of money on Stunners (and the 15" wheels you'd be needing)<<

When the MSA announced earlier this month that rule 79 regarding tyres was to be extended to include list 1b tyres, I presumed that all UK clubs had to adopt this rule within their class structures as a matter of course.... Apparantly though, this is not the case and a club can still decide on it's own class structure.

This may mean for example that BARC(Y) at Harewood continue to specify list 1a tyres only for next year in their road modified classes.

I'm waiting to see what ruling the Harewood Hill comittee decide on later this year.

If they decide to still stick to list 1a only, then I will have to decide what path to take ref list 1a wheels and tyres and will also compete in L7C class 2 in 2010.

If they decide on allowing list 1b tyre usage for next year then I will probably get another set of wheels and tyres (khumo 700s) and will also compete in L7C class 3 in 2010.

... It's a case of waiting for their decission now.