Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car cutting out

MikeW

Had my 1600VX for about 3 weeks now and done a few hundred miles of driving with no problems. Picked it up from Caterham after a race service on Friday ( who were really helpful) but tonight was the first chance to go out for a blast. Went over a bit of a rise at speed and the car cut out ( first time ever)Coasted to a stop, turned the key and the car immediately fired up. About 10 miles later blasting along a flat piece of road in 5th and the car again momentarily cut out but picked up again before I had lost much speed. It 'feels' as if it may be a problem with the carbs flooding or something similar but I'm a complete novice at this. I'll check the plugs ( and speak to Caterham tomorrow) but any advice appreciated. I have a track day next week and need to get things sorted out by then. It may not be related to the service at all ( and I don't know whether they touched the carbs) but I did 150 miles on a trip the previous weekend with absolutely no problems

Only other thing I can think of is I filled up with Super unleaded tonight

Thanks

Mike

Most likely is electrical and battery leads are a good place to start. Engine earthing strap should be mounted onto bare metal. Don't know about the 1600VX wiring looms, but on some K-series the main power connection into the car loom is via an insubstantial spade connector and this can need crimping a bit tighter to get a reliable connection.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*

had similar trouble except my 1600 vx classic

would not restart for 5 - 45 mins

they replaced the ecu

now the engine starts but doesn't fire on all 4 cy then sometimes it just dies restarts and the engine dies again

they are going to take it in and have a look

btw they replaced the fuel tank as it had a hole in it so its not that

Thanks for all your quick replies. I had originally thought it was fuel related but based on your replies and some help from Caterham am convinced its electrical now. I'll work through the suggestions and hopefully get things sorted out tonight. Caterham (Midlands) felt it was most likely to be the battery cut out switch and suggested glueing a small washer on the end to improve the contact so I will try that as well.

Really appreciate the help, makes you realise what a great club this is.

Thanks

Mike

Mike, as you know I have the same car as you. I had a similar problem at Curborough at the SDCC sprint, it was just a loose battery terminal, but you've probably checked those already ! ECUs are know to be iffy on the Classic, I'm on my second unit now, that could the root of your problem.

Honey, I shrunk the car *confused* It's turned into a 7 😬

Giles,

Thanks for the comments. Ignition light is on and engine is turning over so I do have power. Problem is that the car just wont fire. I'll try and trace things back to whether it is an electrical or fuel problem when I get home tonight. ( Bit late last night by the time I had trailered home.)

So will go through the basics of whether I have a spark, fuel to the carbs ( pumps is working so unless I have a blockage not likely)Also because it was so sudden ie no spluttering suspect it is probably electrical. Got the car booked in tomorrow so if I can't fix it tonight ( and I have my doubts) then at least someone else can help sort this out. Main priority is having it working for Oulton, second is being able to get out at the weekend because the forecast looks good.

Mike