Click here if you are having website access problems ×

water tight boot cover

Hanns Per

went today with a half hood 3 hrs in the rain.

The half hood basically was OK I also could manage that no water from the rear got into the car.

I put some tranparent PE foil in between the roll bar.

However quite some water got into the boot and the inside of the boot cover was very wet

What are the possibilities to get the boot cover more water tight?

Is there a special boot cover?

thanks for your feedback

Hanns Per

my CSR 200 with Cosworth roller barrell

blatting the alps in a CSR 200 now 220

• Area Representative

Trying to water proof the boot is almost impossible. Better to accept that water will get in and make sure that water doesn't give you problems. If you have carpet in the boot, replace it with rubber mat cut to size, which you can easily remove and dry. If I have luggage in the boot I make sure it is in rubble sacks or dry bags to keep it dry. This ensures everything important is dry. *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

I built up the front edge of the boot by about 20mm so its the same height as the sides and goes over rather than under the seatbelt points and I guess this would help prevent water running forward on any minor down slope.

I did contemplate putting something like tight fitting flairs on the rollbar tubes to prevent water running down the tubes from going down into the boot but, this being Derbyshire, running with the hood up is the norm so there isn't much point.

Hi Hanns Per, I put everything in freezer bags, the ziplock things available at the supermarket etc.

I dry the boot carpet with a leather, just soak up the water.

I noticed Norman has a carbon boot cover and while it is not waterproof, it could possibly be made so with some tape over the gaps around the roll bars.

You will gather this is not a problem anyone has really solved.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 7 Aug 2009 19:28:45

• Area Representative

At the Poole "Cars on The Quay" event I talked to the Westie owners 😳 about the GRP lockable covers which some Westies have. Apparently even these are not waterproof, so whilst better than a soft cover, it is not a complete one. I wonder if a lot of the dampness is condensation rather than water ingress.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.