Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reduction in horse power.....

Andrew Russell

In light of the present situation with regard to availability of petrol, I am considering a significant reduction in horsepower, from my current 200+bhp 2.0 Vx.XE.

Living in the country, and being quite friendly with the local farmers, I was considering 'borrowing' a horse......

Do Caterham make a suitable harness to attach said beast to the front of my 7....at least I could still enjoy driving the car and the power to weight ratio should benefit the horse.

A little concerned though about the motive powers exhaust system!

Perhaps a side exit system may be safer than the standard rear exit?

Have any other members had any similar thoughts or experiences?

Anna! I do not want to hear about your experiences with horses!

Andrew.

Hell of a reduction to only one HP!

I'm afraid the new mod. would fail the required emmission test.

Well it would if I had anything to do with it!!!

There is an old saying; "Horses for courses". Good addage. Keep 'em on the courses & off the roads. How many times has a good blat in the country been halted by a horse & rider on 'your' side of the road or worse the splattered chassis effect from driving through the more 'solid' emmission?!!!!!!!!!

I suggest you buy a VW 'Beetle'; at least with the HP in the rear the view is nicer.

This from a guy whose 'step daughter' & therefore I own a horse.

Andrew, I think that you're idea is excellent and worthy of much further investigation. My daughter has a pony which, I understand, has during its life been used to pull a small cart. From my experience of the beast I can see only one major problem if using it to pull the 7. Every now and again it has to stop to either relieve itself of waste solid or liquid material. Now we all know the mess that our beloved vehicles get into whilst traversing country lanes so imagine the mess and fallout if its coming at you from bonnet height. Aero screen users would have no chance and probably have to wear diving gear. And thats just the solid material. Liquid waste, assuming that you dont run over the waste pipe, would be worse than your trip over the M62 last month. I would be happy to offer the loan of the pony if you would like to take this excellent green idea further.

John E.

Thanks to both you and your daughter for the kind offer of a pony.As petrol is now flowing freely again, and having considered all the pros and cons of the conversion, I have decided to shelve the idea, and will after all keep the 200+ horses that are currently in the car. I was very worried about the effect of horse by-products on my polished alloy!!

See you soon.

Andrew.