Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wiring Loom Diagram 1700XF

DUFFSTER

Can anyone help me with a loom diagram for a 1987 1700XF?

I have a charging problem that seems to be in the circuit that has the battery warning light. I have tried fitting new alternator and battery and checked earths but now think that the problem lies in this circuit?

Does anyone have one they could email?

many thanks

Dan Duff

I have one but not sure of your location.

Make sure the warning light bulb is not blown & that the bulb holder is earthed correctly, the alternator relies on the current flowing through the bulb for field excitation & hence wont charge without it.

I recently had a simmilar sounding problem on my x flow. Ignition light on under power load. Sparky says alternator not working so replaced. Problem still existed. Checked all wiring but all earths etc etc ok. Changed the cut out switch and bingo, all ok again. So if you have one of these fitted then bye pass it and see if the problem goes away.

If you want to talk it through give me a call on 07770 274 456

Edited by - John E on 24 Jul 2002 10:44:12

Thank you all for you help.

I think I am gradually getting to the bottom of the problem, it seems that the alternator works quite well until the engine warms up then it fails - perhaps due to being too close to the exhaust. Going to have to improvise some sort of heat shield or get a different (non-lucas) unit.