Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SVA'ing an ex race SLR

F355GTS

1998 Car

Anybody done it?

Specific questions are

Would it need a Cat for the SVA?

Does it need Windscreen, doors, washers and wipers?

Is there a problem with leaving the full race cage on?

Any other help, advice gratefully received!

Mark

It shouldn't need the windscreen/weather kit for the SVA, although it will need an aeroscreen.

It will need a cat to pass the emissions test, and may require some tweaks to the ecu map - if it is still using the caterham vhpd exhaust then I can lend you a cat that will replace the 4-2-1 collector section of the exhaust.

You will need to go over the car inside and out covering all the sharp edges and projections - some SVA centers take this to extremes, for instance the sharp edge of the ali bodywork around the top of the front shock mounting needs to be covered by a rubber strip! I have a little bag of the useful covers for bonnet clips .that you are welcome to borrow.

Does the car have a working handbrake?

You'll probably need to add side repeaters for the indicators and check that the rest of the lighting is in reasonable shape.

I'd recommend driving the car to Gillingham for it's test - they seem to be fairly understanding about getting Caterhams through the test.

Miraz

Miraz

thanks for the advice and offer of the cat etc, may well take you up on it!, didn't think you could play with the standard Rover ECU maps? although will be getting an Emerald soon

it doesn't have a handbrake yet, I've been following Trevor's post with interest!

Side repeaters.... yuk!

Anybody know if it needs an Immobiliser, SVA rules seem to suggest so

hows your project coming along?

Mark

It had it's first proper run with the aeroscreen, new head and induction system yesterday - suffice to say the character of the car has been transformed. So much more involving than before, massive grin factor.

I suspect that all is not perfect yet, as it pops and bangs on over run far more than I think is healthy - a trip to Emerald on Friday should fix that. Hope so, cos I'm driving it to Edinburgh on Sunday, then off to Finland next Friday.

I have a set of removable handbrake calipers that you should be able to fit to meet the SVA requirements - assuming that you still have the chassis provision for the handle in the tunnel. Not sure about the immobiliser, but you might get away with the battery master switch.

Miraz

You will need the immobilser for SVA, they are cheap to fit though. There are ways around the standard side repeater problem by either using temporary wings or placing the repeater in a different location as I have done.

Definitely go to Gillingham, no other SVA centre knows the car as well and they want you to pass first time.

Mark, Count has a tunnel handbrake surplus to requirements (or he did several months ago!). Your car already has R500 rear callipers ISTR and as such it shouldn't bo too hard to fit the handbrake once you've cut the requisite hole (as I said before, I was going to ignore the fact that the tunnel ought to be reinforced at that point).

The main issue with the cage is adequate visibility - unless James replaced it, there's no centre rear view mirror on your car either and you'd need one of those, along with a nearside mirror to be 100% sure.

I'm sure that someone on Blatchat also has a cat that they offered to me for the SVA - side repeaters are a moot point, some people get away without them and as your car was a compnent built car you might be able to argue that one out. As regards all the bits of tape etc, someone on Blatchat offered me the use of the "SVA kit" supplied with their car (bunch of rubber bits and pieces).

ISTR you've got the full width deflector on the car - if so then that's OK for the SVA and you only need wipers and washers if you have a widnscreen fitted.

You'll also need an odomoeter - I believe that the car's Stack dash , being a racing version, doesn't have an input for this - ways round this involve the use of push bike odometers. I can't recall whether the car has an mph readout either (which you'll also need) or a fuel gauge - I'm not sure whether that's mandatory or not for SVA).

I've also heard that SLRs can be touch and go on emissions?

Finally, when I looked at the car I noticed that it had a larger fuel tank with internal filler - I didn't notice any sort of cap on the filler and I wonder whether the SVA tester might get concerned about that.

Don't think you need an immobiler. A removable steering wheel and the safety cut-out switch should meet the requirements.

Connect the Bike speedo sensor to the front wheel - no test of accuracy then as they use rear wheel driven rollers to test!

Suggest you remove the roll cage to improve visibility. Best to have mirrors all round - make sure they meet the minimum requirements. Headlamp alignment catches many out.

The GT40 replica guys use many pieces that look lucidrous but comply. Once past the SVA they put on the pukka stuff.

thanks for the advice guys, I will be getting it ready over a period of time

Last question do I need a steering wheel with the big lump of rubber on it?

Trevor

in your e-mail you mentioned MPS ofr a couple of bits, do you have contact details?

Mark

Passed SVA recently:

1. Immobiliser not required nor is a battery master switch

2. Removeable steering wheel not required - I have a Mountney and had to fit the rubber spoke cover for the test (if it is applicable to your car you can have it)

3. Hand brake definately required

4. Rear view mirrors - yes and if you have them fitted to sidescreens, the sidescreens must be secured by nylocks so that they cannot be lifted off - thus removing the mirrors

5. Take time to cover all protrusions especially exposed nuts. I used the SVA kit from Caterham - did the job

6. When you go for the test you must have a full tank of fuel. Necessary for the weight and brake force distribution calculations

Whilst the test at Leighton Buzzard was very demanding I was left feeling very confident about the integrity of the car. The test is geared toward safety and roadworthiness, I am not sure I would want to short change the outcome

Hope this helps - good luck

Peter

C7 PRG