Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Accident Repair Recommendation

Richiemouse

I need to get quotes to have my 1.8VVC Roadsport repaired following a recent accident. I think it will need new nose, rad, fan, ARB, wheel, exhaust hanger + repair to panel where exaust exits + paint. Doesn't look like any suspension/chassis damage but this will need to be checked. Car has been recovered from continent & is currently (temporarily) in Basildon so somewhere close would be preferable. I don't want it recovered to my home because it's not driveable (and I can't drive with a broken arm!). I need a repair quote and the car will have to be stored until Ins. Co. give go ahead for repair.

Recommendations please.

TIA

Rich

As the car is undrivable, get it recovered to the factory or other dealer (Ratrace, Herts or Hyperion, Essex). These are not the sort of cars you can send to a panel beater and the insurance company should acknowledge this (especially if it is one of the 'knowledgable Kit Car freindly companies).

The requirement for 2 estimates only applies if the car is drivable. So once Caterham have the car, it become a one-stop-shop for the entire repair (including returning the car to Arch MOtors for the chassis repair).

Don't accept anything less!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 22 Jul 2002 12:55:13

Richie, based in Basildon you'd be well advised to get it recovered to the Caterham factory at Dartford - actually neaerer to you than Ratrace or Hyperion. If you're RAC member, they may recover the car to there for you - they just regard it as another callout.

Thanks everyone, car is off to Caterham Dartford as it's just across the river from where the car was being stored.

Just for the record it was a relatively slow speed (for a 7) crash but I still manged multiple fractures of my right radius and a dislocated wrist (now repaired with titanium plate and seven *smile* screws). Wot I learned was that you *have* to let go of the wheel at the moment of impact, a painful lesson but not one I'll forget in a hurry!

Rich

Lucky you have a Titanium plate. I have SS in my wrist, although the majority of my pelvis is held together with Titanium alloy plates and long screws. DO NOT GET STUCK BEHIND ME AT THE AIRPORT - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED *wink*

Wow, you set the alarm off? I was really dissapointed that I didn't set them off when we came back via Frankfurt airport. The gate sensor didn't pick it up but the handhelds at the second checkpoint gave a really good bleep all the way up the cast. They didn't seem too bothered which was odd, I mean you could quite easily hide a knife in there! I asked the security chap about the gate sensor and he said that they didn't pick up internal stuff so if you set it off you must have a *lot* of metal in you *smile*

Rich