Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hardly "Technical" - Non 7 engine source enquiry

Hirsute Hugh

Hello chaps,

I wonder if you can help me please. My student daughter has an F registered Mazda 626 which has done sterling service up and down to St Andrews for the last couple of years. She's just had a new clutch fitted and unfortunately she had a "bit of a problem" last weekend and the advice is to source a replacement engine.

Anyone got any ideas for where I start searching, preferably in the East Midlands, Lincolnshire or Yorkshire areas? A Google search didn't come up with anything useful.

Many thanks

Susie

There are loads of Japanese breakers around Bradford / Leeds listed in the back of Auto Trader magazine.

However, before doing anything too rash, surely an F-reg 626 isn't worth a great deal and the cost of an engine transplant would be more than buying another complete running car?

Bri

Update - the garage has sourced a replacement and total cost will be IRO £300 - so, fingers crossed we'll have Victoria back on the road by the week-end *thumbup*

Thanks again chaps. As usual, you've all come to the rescue of a fellow Sevener, regardless of request. What a great Club this is 😬

Susie

Phil, Hmmm. Long version, sorry. Well, Victoria left her car with us for a year while she took a year out from St Andrews to study in Canada. We ran the car on a weekly basis, to keep everything free etc. Noticed a couple of months' ago that the clutch was beginning to slip a little so booked it in with a recommended friendly "jack-of-all-trades" local garage. Work done, she heads off down the A1 and two hours later calls in a panic having lost all power and coasted on to the hard shoulder of the M/way near Stevenage.

We trailer down to recover her and take car back to "friendly" garage. The bottom hose had fallen off and the engine "overheated and seized, timing belt failed" according to "friendly" man at garage.

Personally, I think the two situations are linked but with a car of that age and not being Mazda-technical, I'm not in a position to challenge. All I will recommend is that once she has the car back on the road, she finds a garage that will p/x it for something else for a few ££££'s more.

What pi55es her off is that the engine WAS the car. It ran like a dream, doing hundreds of miles up and down to Scotland without requiring anything more than fuel, the odd dose of oil and a service now and then.....hey ho.

Suze