Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty cut off switch question

GrahamV

I had my battery cut out switch checked by a scrutineer at Llandow last week. The switch works fine in that it cuts out the engine, the fuel pump and the ignition circuit but it doesn’t appear to cut out all of the electrics (i.e. some accessories such as hazard warning lights still work). I can see an argument that if you have an accident on the road you may want to switch the engine off quickly but still have the hazard lights available....

My question is ‘should the switch cut out ALL electrics or should it just cut out the engine?’ Even the scrutineer wasn’t sure – he went off to check with the chief scrutineer but he never came back …..

Thanks in advance,

Graham *wavey*

Edited by - GrahamV on 27 Jul 2009 15:27:53

I'm not sure what the "Blue Book" has to say on the matter - but would have thought that "cut-off" meant exactly that. No power to anything, hence no sparks, hence remove one source of ingition for a fire.

That is how mine have been wired up.

Blue Book might say differently though.

• Support Team

The Blue book says:

75. When operated, the circuit breaker must isolate all electrical circuits with the exception of those that operate fire extinguishers.

Seems pretty clear.

However a cut off switch is not required for sprints/hillclimbs if your car is roadgoing so no need to worry about it.

Edited to say that external cutoff is not mandatory for road going cars.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 27 Jul 2009 16:06:33