Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing Lockable Wheel Nuts

bstark

My mother-in-law needs new tyres on her Clio and, long story short, doesn't have the key for the locking wheel nuts.

As the car came with a set of dodgy 15" alloys (doesn't really suit a 60-something and not big enough for a modern yoof) we're doing a swap for some OEM steels from a scrappy (makes the tyres cheaper), but said scrappy won't spend their time removing the locking nuts.

So it's down to muggins. The nuts are 17mm by the looks of it, and have an X shape cut into them to receive a key. Any good tricks for removing them using basic tools (no welding equipment etc.)? I really need to do this by tomorrow night *rolleyes*.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

You can buy a set of left hand threaded socket type things especially for this. I think Machine Mart sell them, or a good tyre fitters should have a set.

Would an impact driver fit into the X slots?

I bought a special socket for this but it was crap a waste of money.

in the end I used a small cold chisel to remove the loose tube that was around the bolt head of the locking bolt, thats there to stop you hammering a socket on... it was ali and came off easy. then i hammered a cheap socket on and the bolt came straight out.

'Pinky Pics' here

Do they sell skeleton keys as well?.........what is the point in having security devices if you can purchase tools to overcome them? Suppose it is like the traders who can unlock security codes on phones, radios etc ☹️Why not make these more difficult to obtain like registration plates....cloud cuckoo land again.