Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Great head?

yankeedoodoo

The new Ford Focus SVT has a 170HP motor with a revised head, ali pistons and better con-rods. The head has larger passages with intake valves 1-1.5mm larger. Has anyone used one of these in a Caterham? Would this head bolt on to the stock zetec block? I know that the new motor has higher compression ( maybe 10.2 vs. 9.0 ). Thanks again for any responses.

Doodoo:

I do not know if this motor is in the UK market, but would suspect it will find its way into a Caterham soon provided, this model of the Zetec is adaptable. Otherwise giving your current Zetec a head transplant sounds interesting.

Cheers!

Michael

Anyone got a SuperSprint for sale?

Yankeedoodoo

I think the engine fitted to this particular Focus might be the Duratec. Certainly the larger ports and valves sound right. If this is the case then the head is not compatible with the earlier Zetec as the later engine has chain driven cams and the earlier one is belt driven.

It is possible to fit larger valves to the earlier engine.

There is also a 1700 cc all aluminium engine fitted to the Puma in the UK. I saw one of these yesterday which has been converted to run as a Super 1600. 232 bhp!

AMMO

I am mistaken, the engine is not a Duratec. I did a search on Yahoo and found these websites: www.svtfocusonline.com and www.svt.ford.com.

The engine is in fact a Zetec. 33.5 mm inlet valves (32 mm standard) with enlarged ports and standard 28 mm exhaust valves. It also has variable cam timing and variable, two stage, intake system.

If anyone wants to put bigger valves in their Zetec I had some bigger valves made for my 1800. 33 mm inlets and 29 mm exhausts. These will fit the stock valve seats. I also have some 34 mm valves for the 2 litre engines which may require bigger valve seats installing in some heads.

AMMO