Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

supersport?

Carlos Prangdango

How can I tell if my Caterham, (1600 K) has had the supersport upgrade? It is fitted with Piper cams marked LGC206240N505L on both, and L IC on the inlet and M IC on the exhaust.

Are there any tell tale signs. I am lead to believe it has had the supersport cams and ECU but want to confirm.

Any one got any ideas?

• Area Representative

Mr Fabulous,

What year is your car?

There was an issue with some EU3 cars (from 2001) where the shift light (mounted inside the tacho) would not work.

My car was originaly a standard RoadSport. I later aquired an SS ECU, and espite the previous owner telling me that the shift light worked in his car, I've never managed to make mine work as a shift light.

I've now modified the loom, and use the shift light as a low oil presure light.

I don't quite get the "standard pistons" thing. My supersport worked fine on standard pistons. And it had a hard life. Of all the things that broke, pistons were not amongst them!

Anyway the shift light is in the middle between revs and speedo, where the main beam warning light is. You won't have seen it if you haven't been up the revs. 7,200 might be it.

Graham

Mine (T-reg) has a red engine cover with " Caterham supersport" written on it.

here

The shift light is between the speedo and revs, above another light which doesn't work on my car, but is green so I guess is the indicators Edit: I'm talking rubbish, it's above the red ignition light. It looks clear, but lights up red.

Edited by - peterpi on 26 Jul 2009 17:23:22

My old roadsport had the SS conversion and it had Supersport written on the underside of the ECU i think. It also reved to buggery up to about 7700 before i jibbed out and no the shift light did not work on mine a 2002 year.

As yours is 2004 the shift light is in the tacho but as Richard has pointed out might not work. Earlier cars had the shift light, indicator and main beam lights mounted between the tacho and speedo as described by others.

Eearly EU2 cars had the shift light coming on at 7.4K.

As you say just rev it out and see where the rev limiter cuts in, you might even be lucky and see a light as well.

Adrian