Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire extinguishers

anthonym

just replaced mine, which was dated 1999 (interesting, in a 2000 car).

So I just had to test it. It worked fine and now I know what that feels like.

It doesn't last very long, though longer than mere seconds.

If I was dousing a burning person would it be enough?

Kinda feel like adding a second one.

What experiences do we have of this?

Anthony

I've had a short course at the local fire-station paid for by work as I'm a fire marshal.

And yep, the length of use you get out of anything you can comfortably lift is very short.

Interestingly, the fireman who gave us the course and let us practice with the various fire-extinguisher types said that he does *not* keep an extinguisher at his home (he does have a fire-blanket though). Broadly-speaking, the basic message was that unless you witness the fire breaking out, by the time you find out about it through heat/smoke/smell, there's a jolly-good chance that your average domestic extinguisher will be totally useless - just get out.

I think that's pretty-much the same position for car extinguishers - the advantage there is that you will almost certainly witness the start of the fire and all the extinguisher is really going to do is buy you a couple of seconds to get the hell out of Dodge (or Ford, or Bristol, or erm - I'm running out of car makers that I can think of that share names with places... *wink*) Lanchester! There's another one.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

It is possible to put out rather large fires with even a very small extinguisher but you need to know what you're doing!

The more times you try the better you'll get - as with almost everything else.

Practise ....

Martin and Myles *nono* You missed the bleeding obvious! Caterham *rolleyes*

Now, slightly o/t, and sorry Anthony for the little hijack - I know that you cannot put a price on saving your pride and joy, yourself and possibly a passenger from the effects of fire. But how come you get these handheld ones from Halfords for £20, when a motorsport one costs ten times that? Does anyone put their faith in the cheapy ones?

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

no worries, good point :-)

and I did not know about the price differences, I think mine comes from the ferry in the MOndeo and the one in the 7 from Machine Mart the other day in Maidstone. So I am very interested in your question's answer; occurs to me whether it is the contents that are different.

I'm going to look see whether a slightly larger unit will fit.

Plumbed in usually has 3 exits, fuel rail, drivers feet and over the fuel tank, by fuel filter in the back.

If all linked up and pulled at correct point, can save the car. I crashed as Spa and the car caught fire, whether the FE put it out, or it was a simply a flash fire is paddock debate, but I didnt think twice about pulling it!

Also, have FE in the garage, as I am likely to be around at the start of a fire (probably being the cause!! 😳 )

• 5 weeks later...

I have also recently bought a fire blanket, thinking I would take it with me in the Seven, however it never got further than the kitchen where it now lives near the cooker... best laid plans of mice and men etc

I was going to use it as an instant passenger footwell cooling device - trouble is I now have a head full of chip pan fire images (or whatever reason).

The thing is if someone is on fire, a blanket is the thing, not a fire extinguisher of the size we have (or if larger I know not - I recall track marshalls carry LARGE fire extinguishers when I see them on TV). What do we do when the fire extinguisher runs out? A fire blanket doe snot run out and doesn't burn itself either unlike coats and so forth. Of course big difference if person is in or out, of the car.

My mind clearly in a bit of a tailspin about this one.

Anthony (jogged back to this thread by the My Top Tips thread) here

So I just had to test it

What sort was it? Powder, foam or halon?

Didn't it make rather a mess? Beware of the powder, if you try to wash it off it turns into a sticky corrosive mess. But they don't usually use that for in-car extinguishers as the powder tends to pack down into a solid cake.

Foam's probably not too bad. Halon's clean but just wrecks the ozone layer.

The main thing when faced with a fire is not to panic. Always switch off any fuel pump, distance yourself from immediate harm, then assess the situation. Flames are dramatic, but they mostly consist of vapours caused by heat evaporation, and not the fabric of your pride and joy. Use your extinguisher to go to the base of the flame, and you will be surprised how quickly you will put the fire out. Dry powder is by far the best extinguishent, hence it is used by all fire marshals for "knock down" to put out the flames. They may then follow up with foam to cool/seal the fire source.

I had a fire at 80mph when the nut came loose on my front Weber. I switched off, braked sensibly and then used my standard issue CC extinguisher. Result? burnt/ deformed bonnet and some serious scorching of the loom, but I was able to drive home. Yes the powder was a pig to wash off, but at least I still have a car to clean.

My advice after 20+ years as a track marshal, fit a plumbed-in system if you are racing or have a super high pressure injection system, otherwise a good 1kg dry powder extinguisher from Halfords will sort most problems.

And what about your raod car? Of the seven people who stopped to gape/help me, none carried an extinguisher in their "sensible" cars!

I went to Santa Pod and my world changed forever.