Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

FOLLOWERS

Carlos Prangdango

I have purchased a new set of followers in an attempt to silence the tapping which I suspect to be a noisy follower.

However, having removed the old followers and examing the new there are two differences that worry me.

1)Some are easily compressed, is this normal? the old ones are solid. I am assuming that they will "pump up" upon oil pressure but am I correct?

2)The oil way ring machined around the follower is not quite in the same position up the follower.Only about .5mm out, but none the less not the same. Should this also be a concern?

3)The oil seals on the NDE of the cams are easily slipped off and onto the cam shafts. Should they not be a very tight fit? Never ever suffered any oil loss in the entire 20000 miles so this may be a numpty question but should they not be a tight fit?

Some advice would be appreciated.

As the followers are removed the internals can easily fill with air making them compressible, other may not move or may draw oil from the internal reservoir, some of it will depend on whether the corresponding valve is open when the cams are removed. It's normal. misalignment of the follower groove can cause problems with the charging of the follower, the important dimension is from the heel of the follower to the charge groove, if this is incorrect then the follower will only receive an oil supply as it passes the oil charge drilling rather than during the full course of it's latent cylce, this can cause follower rattle. If it were me I would ovalise the ends of the charge drillings upwards and downwards by a MM to make sure there is always a supply of oil to the groove.

Oily

As the followers are removed the internals can easily fill with air making them compressible, other may not move or may draw oil from the internal reservoir, some of it will depend on whether the corresponding valve is open when the cams are removed. It's normal. misalignment of the follower groove can cause problems with the charging of the follower, the important dimension is from the heel of the follower to the charge groove, if this is incorrect then the follower will only receive an oil supply as it passes the oil charge drilling rather than during the full course of it's latent cylce, this can cause follower rattle. If it were me I would ovalise the ends of the charge drillings upwards and downwards by a MM to make sure there is always a supply of oil to the groove.

And that's why I chose to buy a replacement head from Oily a few years ago when I was in a similar situation! The old Rover 25 hasn't looked back!

Graham