Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear ARB settings

skydragon

My seven has an adjustable rear ARB fitted. I've never altered the settings since I've had the car and would be interested in receiving advice on how to adjust and how to use to improve handling etc. The car also has a front ARB fitted (orange I think)

I've read that softening the rear ARB will alter the balance of the car and reduce oversteer. What are the trade off's in altering the ARB and which way do you move the link in order to soften/harden the rear ARB?

I'm mainly using the car for Hillclimbing and if anything suffer from oversteer on mid/exit of corners (probably due to lack of talent as much as car setup... *smile* )

1.6 K Series EU3, 2003, ex-SuperGrad car.Now Fundraising for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance - can you make a donation?- See my website here

Tsk. Take it off. Don't need one of them... *tongue* Am I right in thinking the orange ARB at the front is the least stiff one? Try disconnecting one of the linkages and see what you think. I find no rear ARB quite nice. Nothing wrong with a bit of roll... *rolleyes* *wink*

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

To answer your question, here is a rough piccie - angles etc just for illustration, but you get the idea:

here

If you think of the arms as levers twisting the anti-roll bar (which they are!) then it actually makes sense - the longer the 'lever' (the bit with the holes in) the easier it is for the car to twist the ARB, and therefore roll - the shorter the lever, harder it is to twist the bar, and therefore car rolls less...thicker ARB harder to twist, etc etc

As has been said, then depends on everything else, set-up, how you drive, where you drive etc etc

For example, if you happen to have quite a stiff front end with very little droop, and no rear ARB, this here can happen *smile*

Angus's Blatchat Blog

Edited by - angus&tessa on 13 Jul 2009 13:11:33

Thanks for the explanations, the basic adjustment now makes sense.

I think I will try making the rear ARB one hole softer and see what happens.

For Hillclimbing (tight bends, frequent camber changes, etc) what is the general consensus of opinion on the best mix of front and rear ARBs?