Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreen wipers and washers won't work after replacing wiper motor/cable assembly

Nifty

As title says I've just replaced the wiper cable and drive unit after it broke, almost a couple of years ago, and thus I went aero.

Neither the wipers nor the washer pump wants to work when the relevant switches are pressed and ignition is on.

Wires all appear to be attached correctly.

Have checked fuse and it appears to be OK. Have even switched it with another 15A fuse which I know is working but still no life.

I am desperately short of time to get these fixed before I go to the Dales in a week's time and need to have the windscreen on.

Any ideas please?

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Try Gary's suggestion 1st.

Did the wiper motor & washer motor work before you removed the bits?

If the wipers still don't work you need to get back to basics. Is there 12 volts present at the washer motor? Check the earth? Do the same for the wiper motor as well.

Edited by - Mick Day on 12 Jul 2009 21:40:49

Windscreen wiper switch light isn't coming on when the dash lights are on but washer light is?

Could it be no power to the switch and the washer circuit only works when wipers are on?

(I don't suppose the electrics are clever enough that the wipers/washers don't work if the windscreen heater lines aren't connected *confused*)

Will be taking the wiring diagram to bed

Might just be that the light has gone in the switch ?

Haven't had the wipers functioning since I swapped the engine so perhaps I rewired the switch incorrectly when I rewired the ignition.

Is there a feed from the ignition to the wiper and/or washer switch 🤔

With grateful thanks to Ernie giving a lending hand we managed to track live power down to the wiper control unit but nothing coming out the other side to the motor.

A quick chat to Lucas confirmed that the wiper control unit, a Lucas 6DA, is obsolete *thumbdown*

However, Mick and John at Redline told me to bypass it and hey presto I have an active wiper motor.

Believe it or not the washer pump was also broken and that part is also proving to be a sod to find. However, on Redline's advice I've bought a "fit all" pump and will connect it in series with the old one (which is required to fit into the aperture of the washer fluid reservoir) and just draw the fluid through the old pump body *thumbup*

Managed to locate and purchase a replacement wiper control unit from Rimmer Bros -£33 + VAT ..... then came home and found one on eBay for £6.50, secondhand but assured it's working by the friend chap on the other end of the phone.

Might have to find a heartbreaking excuse to return the new one to Rimmers for a refund *redface*p]