Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3.92 Differential with Titan LSD

AMMO

The diff is from my car and has done less than 400 miles since being fitted with a Titan LSD. This is the one that is fitted to the latest Duratec R500 and has the correct ramp angles. The crown wheel an pinion are perfect and when the LSD was professionally fitted (not by me) and had the crown and pinion shimmed it had new bearings and seals at the same time. The diff is quiet, has no whines and works perfectly.

I have decided that as I use my car mainly for commuting and touring that the LSD is overkill, especially now that the Seven is my only vehicle and I will probably be driving it during bad weather during the winter. I have never had a car with an LSD and was curious to see what it was like. Now that my curiosity is satisfied I have decided to go back to a standard diff. The LSD is great but I feel that for a road car and for my driving style that I really don't personally need one.

Asking £1,000.00 + delivery.

Any questions please ask.

Ammo

Raceco.com

I've just fitted a Titan unit, the differences in everyday driving are a bit noisier at rolling speed (e.g. when maneuvering) - you can here the mechanicals clunk and whine slightly - not at all noticeable at normal driving speeds. The positives are better drive out of tight corners, easier to control a drift and of course donut capability! I haven't been on track yet, hope to rectify this soon!

Danny

I had 260+ bhp before I fitted the LSD as well remember. Wasn't a problem.

I was also thinking of selling the engine. 260bhp for commuting and touring is a bit excessive, although there is the option of not using all the power all the time, which is what I am currently doing.

Either I sell the engine and build myself another one or de-tune the current engine a bit. The induction noise is a bit of a pain on long trips. Maybe less cam or possibly an airbox. Dunno. Haven't decided yet.

Sort of thinking about a big European trip next year to see friends in Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and France. I wouldn't go with the car as it is now. I think it would drive me nuts. My previous 228 bhp engine would have been more suited to my purposes as it was a lot quieter.

Steve T

If you are going for it and are under power the diff feels fine. Don't know how to explain it. The back end feels very taught and really digs in under acceleration. Coming out of slow corners the back end digs in and the car just goes. The transition from on to off throttle feels weird to me. I know you shouldn't be coming off power going around a bend but sometimes on the road it is inevitable if there is an obstruction.

Keep in mind that I have had the car nine years with the open diff and that is what I am used to. So rather than weird it is probably just different. I can see it would probably be a handfull in the wet but there are other issues like power delivery and the fact that the throttle linkage is linear and not progressive. The linkage thing is definitely something I need to sort out before winter. I also don't feel the need to do doughnuts and don't particularly like going around corners all crossed up. I don't drift the car on public roads.

I did beat a turbo diesel minicab coming out of the Tesco' roundabout recently, only to be held up by the Park and Ride bus.

As I haven't done a track day in ages and probably won't in the near future I feel like I have something that is not being put to good use. Even if I was to do a track day with an open diff (which I have done a few in the past) and was to lose a bit of time coming out of corners it wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Grubbster

My diff doesn't whine or clunk. I do get clunks but they were there before. I think this is more to do with the clutch and gear box. The best place for an LSD is the track in my opinion. If my car was more of a track car I would definitely be keeping the LSD.

Price reduced to £995.00!

Ammo

Raceco.com

possibly an airbox

I now run with the C400 airbox and the induction noise is next to nothing (comparatively). I would recommend this airbox to anyone for road use and touring - just back form 2250 miles over the alps *cool*

dave

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

SteveT

I know almost nothing about LSDs so I'm not qualified to answer. As I previously mentioned I'm not a doughnut merchant either.

Dave

Thanks for that. Is your airbox the one that sticks out of the bonnet with a kind of cover over it or the one that has the cylindrical filter under the bonnet?

Ammo

Raceco.com

sorry for the hijack Ammo ...

The backplate you sold me does fit the airbox , but I'm not using it as my trumpet length is too long . I'm using a self made backplate that is a cross between a ITG and a pipercross *smile*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Danny

Been thinking of doing a Raceco airbox for some time now. Finding the time is a problem. One thing is to silence the induction, another to silence without reducing power.

Done another few miles with the LSD diff and I'm getting used to it. Will be swopping back to an open diff this weekend and see how different it feels.

Ammo

Raceco.com