Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen replacement - AutoGlass

Jon Crofts

Called Autoglass this morning as my screen has finally cracked top to bottom.

Very helpful lady on the phone seemed to know what she was talking about asking whether it was a SV wide car.

Heated replacement glass ordered & will be at my local branch Monday for me to have fitted.

All sounds too good to be true, anyone had any experience of Autoglass for their 7?

Porsche GT3 RS Orange R300 Superlight

It's only 3 screws each side to release the frame from the stanchions, unplug the 2 wires for the heating element and it's off !!

The heated screen comes in the frame I understand, so it is an easy swap ... don't have to remove the glass from the frame.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 11 Jul 2009 20:56:10

As suspected not quite as smooth with Auto Glass.

They won't replace the glass only as it's 'too difficult' to quote their Basingstoke office, has to be a new complete screen & surround. So rather than a c£100 piece of glass it's now a £356.50 part from CC. My insurer pays the first £200, I have a £60 excess + the difference to make up.

Think I'll take it up with my insurer, don't see why I should pay for an easy fix when replacing the glass should be a straightforward enough job for an auto glazer.

Aha!

Insurer now says they'll pay up to £600 in any 12 month period for glass, not the £200 I thought, so shiny new frame & glass it is then.

I considered the plain glass which is for race use only as my screen only goes on for the journey to the Ring & then comes off for the duration of the stay & back on for the blat home.

Will Auto Glass take the old frame & glass off me as some people have suggested as I might still go down this route a spare.

Dave Spragg at MSM told me that he's had huge bills from Autoglass ... over £1,000 for supply and fitting a CC screen!!

I've made 3 windscreen claims now and each time I've had the £50 excess waived if I fit it myself, which I've done of course. It has to be one of the easiest jobs you can do on a 7.

I just send Dave the invoice from Caterham and he sends me a cheque *thumbup*

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 14 Jul 2009 19:43:59

• Support Team

Autoglass refused to let me fit the replacement - something about them not being able to guarantee it! Daft really as I take the screen off for every sprint. Other than that they have been excelllent both times I've had to claim.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

When Autoglass told me there was a three week waiting period for a replacemnet screen I rang CC who had them in stock. The cost to the insurance company, according to Autoglass, was about £400 whereas the CC one was £250. I phoned the insurance company and inforned them I can get one cheaper and quicker from CC and if I did would they waive the excess. They agreed :)

-----

My site-----

• 5 weeks later...

My insurers Competition Car Insurance told me to deal direct with Caterham Midland and which I did. I paid the excess of £60.00 and they claimed the rest back from CCI. I then collected it and fitted it myself. No problem at all.

That was about 18months ago.

Colin