Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Rub

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Being a somewhat short person, the first thing I did on collecting my new car a couple of weeks ago was to move the pedals so that I could reach them. I found the method for doing this on this site and it was a relatively straight-forward process. The throttle and clutch were easy to fine tune and I have no problems with them. The brake however was a bit more tricky as there wasn't much in the way of fine adjustment and using the stirrup/nut arrangement to adjust the travel appeared to activate the brake a little - eventually I settled on a setting that seemed OK and the brake functions fine (I even managed to adjust the brake light actuator quite easily).

Enough of the background and down to the problem - when I was pulling the car out of the garage this morning I could hear the brake pads rubbing on the disks.

Is this normal?

If not, what can I do to stop it?

There doesn't appear to be any real drag on pushing the car forward or when driving but I am concerned that the brakes may be rubbing slightly when driving.

Shaun

Yellow SLcool.gif

Brakes rubbing at slow speed (when moving the car by hand) come into a couple of categories:

1. On new brakes, the pads and disks need to bed in so that their contact faces do not have any imperfections.

2. On older brakes, if the car has been stored damp then the rust on the disks raises the surface slightly and needs to be worn away by driving for a few miles.

3. There is insufficient play in the wheel bearings so that the pads have not been knocked off smile.gif

On the assumption that the last thing you did before you got out of the car was to use the brakes, then the pads will be right up against the disks and will not have had time to be 'knocked off', so either of the first two reasons is likely. Neither is unexpected nor serious.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

• Support Team

Graham,

Thanks - makes me feel a lot better as I haven't worked on cars for years (not since my old Ford Cortina!). Getting under the bonnet of the Caterham was a little intimidating - especially when playing with something as important as brakes.

Shaun

Yellow SLcool.gif