Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A bit more power

Zetec Rich

Like most seven owners who upgrade their engines i was happy with the new found power of my standard zetec engine, but now i'm getting bored with that (not to mention left behind). The engine is a standard 1995 2.0L with 45 webbers, what options do i have to increase the power from to say around 200bhp and at what sort of cost ?

The Zetec head benfits from porting. My head increased from 102 cfm to 131 cfm. Kent cams, either FZ2001 or FZ2002 and a slight increase in compression. Bigger valves are also an option. 200 bhp is quite easy from a 2 litre Zetec.

AMMO

Ditto what Ammo says on the head porting (did you only get 131CFM.. tee hee :-)))) ), I have found that the Piper BP285 cams give superb results and will run on the stock hydraulic followers, on 45s and with a ported head these should give 200BHP and 175ft/lb

Oily

Oily and Co.

My head gave 131 cm at 10.5 mm lift and 134 at 11 mm. Didn't check at 12 mm as I don't intend running cams of this lift on a road engine. The target horsepower figure for my engine when I eventually put it on throttle bodies is around 190 bhp which I regard as adequate out of an 1800 cc lump for road use and probably more than I can handle.

With 45 mm throttle bodies the head gave 125 cfm and with 45 Dellortos with 36 mm chokes 112.5 cfm. So why poke around any more as the carbs are the obvious restriction in the system? I also wanted to keep the gas velocity up and left the ports quite small working on the principle that I can always take out more later but it's a bit difficult to put metal back in. If I go to throttle bodies this winter I will have another go at the head.

Regarding flowbenches I've owned two, a Superflow 110 and a Superflow 300. My 300 has extra motors to bring it up to 600 spec to test things like Ducati factory heads with 60 mm throttle bodies, Touring cars and the like. The poor little 110 couldn't keep up. I didn't know if it was the flowbench running out of puff or the head. The 300 could suck the chrome off twenty Chevvies. :-) Both benches read slightly differently. A friend in the States had a 110 as well and testing the same heads on mine and his bench gave different figures.

Flowbenches are like dynos. They are all slightly different. I use the flowbench, like a dyno, as a comparator. If I start with one figure and end up with a higher one I'm happy.

On a Zetec it is dead simple to get 125 cfm with stock valves. This is good enough for 215 bhp.

With cams, I'm a big Kent fan as over the years they have been very good to me and helped me develop various profiles which have been very successful. I'm sure Piper are equally as good but it just so happened I started using Kent and was so happy with the service I had no need to look elsewhere. I do occasionally buy in some Piper products as well. Looking at the figures for the Piper 285 and The Kent FZ2002 they should give similar results. The Piper has less lift and duration than the Kent and the Kent with 278 degrees duration and 11 mm lift on intake and exhaust is quite similar to the top spec hydraulic cams used on your K series unless I remember incorrectly (my memory for lift and duration figures is not as good as it used to be).

Interestingly I had Luke Beaumont's VVC head on my bench and this gave 120 cfm (ported by Precision Ports in Ipswich). As he is also looking for around 190 bhp eventually, I recommended he leave it alone.

What is the point of all this talk? Probably that is not neccessary to have more airflow than you actually need to produce the horsepower you want. In fact as peak lift flow increases (sometimes at lifts much higher than any cam available) the flow at low lift starts to deteriorate so I tend to stop before going too far.

Got to go. Pizza in the oven.

Ciao.

AMMO

I fitted a 94 63,000 mile 2 litre Zetec last winter, completely standard except for the Kent FZ2002 cams as recommended by James Whiting. It is a revelation on the road compared to the previous 165hp x-flow, pulls from tickover to 7200 limit with no hesitation or spitting, I too am sorely tempted to investigate some porting over the winter if funds permit. On John Nobles fancy Sun rolers it gave a corrected 179.5 @ the flywheel, not a bad figure for the £290 spent on cams. It is on 45's with 36mm chokes.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Turner on 19 Jul 2002 20:21:21

Paul

I think the porting will make an improvement on your engine. The stock Zetec head is not so hot as it's intended to give good emmissions and mpg. The intake port incorporates a tumble feature which restricts flow. There are different stock heads and some are better than others but even the better ones aren't that great.

I've done a lot of Zetec heads for an Essex based concern. I really like this engine as it is very good value for money.

AMMO

Oily

I know you were only taking the mickey but the point I was making about the sufficient amount of airflow required to do the job was a serious one.

Steve

Get a Zetec, you know it makes sense :-)

I think someone on this forum runs a 2 litre Zetec with 40's and reckons it's great (Brent?). Horsepower is dictated by choke size. If you go on Dave Andrew's excellent website you will find a program called Jetting (I think). You can put in engine capacity and specify use for maximum power or driveability. It comes up with carb and choke sizes and all the jets and air correctors. That will put you in the ballpark. Whan you finally decide to junk the dinosaur "chopstick" engine I'm sure your 40 mm Webers will be sufficient until you decide to upgrade.

AMMO