Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Its sulking!

Pete

I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding my problem. I have a 1999 k series and this morning I disconnected the 2 plugs that connect the car wiring loom to the engine harness. I left the battery connected.

Now, the engine will not start although the immobiliser appears to switch off ok and the fuel pump and ECU make all the right clicks and whirring noises. The starter circuit appears to be dead. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to reset the ECU but to no avail. I have checked that none of the little pins in the plugs are bent and as near as I can make out they all seem to be fitting into the sockets ok.

I've run out of bright ideas. Can anyone help please before I start using a large hammer on it!!

Thanks in advance

Pete

Pete

Saw something similar on an SLR at Mallory last year, everything looked ok but starter wouldn't turn over. We did the time honoured trick of putting it in 4th and bumping it along a foot or so to turn the engine over a bit and it then started, we may have done it twice, can't remember.

Having said that since you messed with it immediately prior, I agree with the above it's probably a blown fuse or bad connection.

Cheers, Simon.

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions on my electrical problems.

Jules- I did pick up the hammer but when I saw the poor thing lying there, helpless on the garage floor with its big dewey eyes looking up at me in a truly pitiful manner, I just couldn't do it. I gave it a big hug instead!

Peter. Thanks for the tip on resetting the immobiliser. I found in the end that mine needed a double click on the 'lock' button in order to reset it so it looks like Rover have changed the spec. Perhaps some poor chap got fed up with clicking the buttons 5 times!

The answer to the problem turned out to a displaced socket in the plug after all (red/white wire leading to the starter solenoid). Very difficult to see and so I have brought forward my next appointment with the optician! Thanks to Adam at Caterham for suggesting that one.

Once again chaps, many thanks for your time.

Pete