Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Guess the power output

Rob Morris

41mm chokes are too big for a 45body (here I go again!). You end up with no venturi effect. I'm willing to bet that if you went down to a 39mm choke, you'd pick up mid-range without loss of top end power. A 41mm choke is more than big enough (in a 48body) of supplying enough airflow for 200bhp+

Chris.

As Chris says carbs require a venturi effect. About 85% of carb size for the choke is supposed to be good. So 38 mm choke in a 45 carb and 41 mm in a 48 carb.

Go for throttle bodies when you can afford it. You should get more power on 45 mm throttle bodies. I have just purchased some 45's which were from an early 2 litre Vauxhall touring car. They found these to be too small for ultimate power. For a fast road car they should be perfect.

My 1800 Zetec makes the same power as your VX on 45 mm carbs with 36 mm chokes. Should make more once fuel injected.

Alan (Foxy) Smith found that the intake manifold on his factory supplied Vauxhall engine was not a very good size, match to the head or finish. He rectified the situation and got a good improvement. His car makes around 220 bhp but is obviously in a higher state of tune to start off with. Can't now remember if his car is on carbs or injected.

Hope you find your extra horses soon.

AMMO

What exhaust have you got? This can make a big difference. Is it wide enough to floe enough air and is it the right configuration (4-2-1) to minimize torque dips? If you have the std 4-1 inside the engine bay then a single pipe coming out the side of the car you'll gain about 10 bhp or so. I presume the VXs came with something better though?

HOOPY