Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Guess the power output

Rob Morris

Only the best! but thanks for asking

16V 2000cc with claimed 175bhp by Caterham

To be honnest I think only 5 Anniversary's were fitted with this engine due to it being a £3,500 option. Worth every penny.

I have had it roling roaded as standard (figure not being given away) and intend to check it again folowing fitment. This will be followed by a simple report for Low Flying headed "Cheap Power". I just hope that I get an increase?

The cams are BP 270H Piper's being fitted with standard pulley's running 45mm Webbers & std engine management.

Total cost of upgrade £250 for cams and cam-belt.

Rob M.

40th Anniversary Vauxhall Man

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.ukid=red>

Mine gave 180bhp @ wheels in my old HPC on a well known and reputable rolling road. That was using a similar cam (QED 420H). It went to I85 with a change from standard caterham set up to 3D DTA unit and fitment of throttle pot (this change also made car tick over like an injection model). Revs were upped so I invested £80 in some Cossie big end bolts for insurance.......so depending on the rollers your using I'll go for 180 bhp @ 6750 rpm.

Kenny SLR

So far I hope that my good friend Alex has the correct answer.

The interesting thing will be what percentage gain as a result of this cheap & simple modification more than the correct answer as engine vary depending on the luck of the draw, however, all Vauxhall should be able to achieve the same % gain.

Still got my fingers crossed for 185bhp *smile*

Rob M.

40th Anniversary Vauxhall Man

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.ukid=red>

Err, forgot to say that that Caterhams figures were over optimistic where the VAUXHALL unit was used (but you'd expect me to say that!)

Arnie.

I have happily (?) put myself in the frame by testing the old 1400 SS (133bhp) & the new 1800CPC (202BHP). Come to think of it so has PC etc. So c'mon on. Lets see what a 'real' V/X can do. Put yours on Dave Walkers rolling road too. Who knows, it may make 295 or more. At least it would be a current comparison with all the rest. If it makes less than your claimed then you have a good get out clause for Curborough (M the I).

It's in your court.....................................

Peter,

The dyno sheet for my car is on www.the-webbs.com *confused*

You'll also realise that when compared through the same speed trap at COTT1 I was consistantly 2 or 3 mph faster than your much lighter. faster exiting Fradley type car. *tongue*

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM site

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 25 Jul 2002 16:53:13

1mph quicker, I thought, (mine 103mph on 2nd timed run) than my slow exiting car (it wasn't working well around Fradley - I claim 29mph exit) and equipped with a sequential box rather than an h-pattern about to expire (you weren't suffering a half second pause while waiting to engage third).

I think a comparison would be decent sport. It is part of the K2RUM mystique that means that everybody would like to know...

I have been quoting 253bhp because that was the figure from DW's rolling road achieved on first run up in the state that competed at Curborough. On the day, we swapped to Dave Jackson's longer trumpets (1st run 251bhp and worse in other parts of the rev range) and with a fuelling change at the very top to correct overfuelling this produced 254bhp (and correlation everywhere else). The fuelling change was appropriate also to the shorter trumpets and I have retained these settings making the engine much perkier at its max power revs. There is now the distinct possibility that my engine is making a bit more than it had when it recorded 253 on DWs rollers. The format of the day means that I have direct comparison with Graham Ford's VX (much more powerful) and Dave Jackson's K (much less powerful), which is in keeping with what you would expect.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*

The Results...................

145bhp at the wheels @ 6,500rpm

this equates to approx 170bhp @ flywheel

Not quite the figure I had hoped for, but I can report that there has a been a gain in mid- range. Sadly this was not measured prior to the swop.

Good news is that the main jets went down from 180's to 170's, however, the figures show that the 45mm carbs (41mm chokes) fail to deliver enough air for peak power.

Anyone got a pair of 48's I can try?