Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Removing FIA rollbar

Paul White

I am trying to remove the rollbar so that I can fit my roll cage; which i thought would be a simple job *confused*

I have undone the only 4 visible bolts (2 at the base of the rear diagonal struts and the 2 13mm on the base plates of the hoop. I thought that it would then knock up, but now the rubber mallets have become club hammers and still no movement!

Am I missing something?

K80 ROM, metallic green R400

Edited by - Paul White on 5 Jul 2009 10:39:14

Paul

Even worth considering filing the end of your hex socket flat so there are no lead-in chamfers at the end of the socket. That way you will get maximum possible engagement with the bolt head. There really is not much to get a purchase on and the bolts can be rusted into the roll bar boss.

Hope it goes well. *thumbup*

P

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

• Area Representative

If they are really a pig to shift, spray liberally with WD40/Plusgas or similar and leave for a while to soak in and then using a jack with a piece of wood to give some upward force on the socket head, you can easily undo the vertical bolts with less likelihood of rounding off

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...

6 point 14mm hex & grind off the castellations *thumbup*

When fitting the cage put these nuts back on first half way in, then fit front pick ups, easier to pull the cage about a bit with the rear end loose then tighten all round, you'll probably need to cut the front mounting nuts down as well so they do not oppose each other in the chassis rail. The nuts supplied by CC & Caged are too long.

You may need to fettle the hole in the front pick ups as well.

Porsche GT3 RS Orange R300 Superlight

It can only help to soak the offending bolts in Plusgas for a couple of days too. I'm always impressed and often mightily relieved by its effectiveness.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Thanks guys,

Had no problems with all of your warnings and did the whole job in an hour and a half *thumbup*

Have since spent 3 hours trying to get the bolt back in to the bottom shock mounting but it won't go in without cross threading! *mad*

Any ideas before I set light to the car and claim on the insurance!

K80 ROM, metallic green R400

Edited by - Paul White on 12 Jul 2009 11:23:47

I seem to remember I had a similar issue with rebuilding the rear end.

I put the bottom bolt in first then offered up the top into the mount, putting a long screwdriver in the hole behind seat to get a rough alignment of the top shock then offered the hex nut into the top mount.

You could try backing off the top mount to get some lateral play in the shock to get the bottom mount straight.

Also the car although jacked on the Watts linkage the jack was removed & I had the rear on axle stands on a chassis rail so the suspension was completely free.

Porsche GT3 RS Orange R300 Superlight

You could probably do with a tap to clean out the thread. In the absence of a proper tap, if you have a spare bolt of the correct size, grind 3 or 4 grooves down the lenghth of the bolt (I use the cutting disc on a Dremel and basically, you are turning it into a makeshift tap) and then run that down the sticking thread, but do so by winding in a couple of turns then back one and so on. The grooves will help to gather the crud you clear out of the thread. Probably worth removing the bolt/tap a few times during the process, to clear out the cruf. Good luck *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Su77on Se7ener

• 3 weeks later...