Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Mag wheels - painting

masha

I am going to get the presently unpainted centre of my mag wheels painted. Clearly powder-coating is probably not a good idea because of the heating-up process, but can anyone recommend if the magnesium needs priming with anything before a local paint shop gives the centres a nice coat of black.?

ms81@cant.ac.uk

Do a search for his number (on here somewhere) and give Mike Barnby a call.

You can powder coat them or he can get them painted for you. His prices are competitive and if anyone knows what's good for them it's him!

Powder coat is less durable but cheaper. IIRC.

Negligible.

I believe powder coating is 4GBP a wheel - but don't hold him to that! My memory's not what it was (beer and chillis rather than old age).

I think he quoted me 15GBP for painting them. But this might have been powder coating...

Must go for a lie down. Thinking too much of the drive home/to the Surrey meet smile.gif

Thanks guys...

yes, but what of having the centres painted by a spray-shop, is there any special primer needed or can they just spray them liberally like any other material?

I was going to have the centres done mango to match the car and the rims powder-coated black (like on R500 #1) but I didn't want them to look tacky so I will probably stick to black centres and polished rims - pretty nuetral/practical choice me thinks.

Matthew

Talk to MB and he'll tell you how to treat them. I think they should be dipped in something first to remove any iffyness.

He once offered me the R500 colour combo cheap as he couldn't get rid of a set (long time ago!). Apparently it wasn't very popular!

If I were you I'd consider getting the rims done black as well as the centres. Polished looks great, but if you use the car every day they soon look manky and are a right bugger to get back to their original state. And life's definitely too short.

When I get back from Le Sept I'm having my rims done in black (they were polished and are now "M25 road grime and horse poo").

Masha

pretty certain Mag wheels do need some special tratment, I had two of the 355 wheels done and two alloy wheel dealers wouldn't do it, in the end had a paintshop do it but must admit I didn't ask what they did to them

Mark

Andy, let me know who you're intending to use for powder coating your rims. My SLR 5 spoke wheels are looking tatty and I think a quick refurb and powder coating would give them a new lease of life. Also, any idea of costs per wheel?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.id=red> //id=blue> Membership No.id=red> 4379id=green> //Azure Blue SLR No. 0077id=blue> //Se7ens List Tours