Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clicking instead of starting?!

hatterpa

I was out earlier with a friend on several short runs in my '97 1.6 Superlight, each time switching the engine off and starting again (eg at the petrol station), and then after a further stop, when I tried to start the engine (only about 2 minutes after turning off) all I got was a clicking - nothing turning over ☹️. Battery power is fine, but seems like it must be something electrical, (and it's not the inertia fuel cut-off).

No matter what we tried, including pushing the car backwards and forwards, rocking from side to side (I heard once even that works sometimes?! *confused*), it wouldn't start.

Is this a known problem? I'm guessing it might be (Lucas) immobiliser-related, *idea* but that was definitely disengaged according to the dashboard light. We tried arming and disarming that several times but dind't seem to make any difference.

Ultimately after about an hour of being left whilst much head-scratching went on, we tried it again and it started just fine, as if nothing had ever happened??

Thanks for any hints and tips for the newbie on this one...

Cheers,

Paul

1997 Superlight - Sting like a Bee...

Edited by - hatterpa on 3 Jul 2009 22:43:11

Thanks guys - now becoming a real expert in the 'wiggling' department 😬! Started finding posts on TechTalk on the K-Click which I assume mine must be. If I don't have any luck I may well take you up on your offer Darren - thanks! *biggrin* (I'm in Beaconsfield).

Cheers,

Paul

1997 Superlight - The Yellow Peril - Sting like a Bee...

• Area Representative

Sounds like your car will be cured by the fitting of a relay. Send me a blatmail if you need easy to follow instructions.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Would absolutely love to come, but SWMBO has somehow roped me in to a weekend climbing Snowdon *eek* *rolleyes* I don't know how I get myself in to these things, *biggrin* but defintely need work on increasing the blat-count before the weather turns again... *thumbup*

Hi, I had the same problem and it's a real pain.

Myn ended up being a bad connection on the earth terminal from the battery that is bolted to the engine. Try removing the bolt and sanding the terminal and the area where it bolts to and covering it with vaseline and rebolting. Myn been fine since.

Deano

Thanks for all the advice - I've printed this out and will systematically work through all the ideas!! *wavey* Went out a couple of times yesterday with no problems at all - don't know if I should be worried or not now?!! *confused* (got flashed by a Police car on the second run last night with both officers giving the thumbs up - at least I think that's what it was!) 😬

My advice in situations like these is that you have an intermittent fault. You could leave it and only get bothered by it now and again, or you could do your best to find out what it is and get it fixed. *thumbup*

K-series click is a sneaky thing and there are a couple of different causes (as mentioned above as well as in many other posts) so you may fix one and then another cause rears its head.

cheers,

Darren.

Just to add - I went through the list and was going to start fitting relays etc...when I discovered that the actual post on the starter motor (well actually on the solenoid on top of the starter motor) was loose.

If you search the archives this potential failure doesnt crop up as often, so I hadn't read about it before - until Dave Jackson (i think) pointed out what it could be.

I used to get the click sometimes hot, sometimes cold, sometimes twice in a row, and sometimes not for weeks at a time...

---

my mind is blank....

Thanks all for the advice. You'd think if this is such a prevalent problem that Caterham would actually come up with a standard fix, although I guess nothing on a 7 is consistent or standard!! *wink*

Hello Beaconsfield *wavey*

I have a 1998 1.8 K with exactly the same problem and have also become an expert at the wiggle!!!

I am hoping to fit a new uprated starter motor over the next couple of weeks *smile*

I am in North Bucks if you fancy a blat sometime as I am over you way quite often

*wavey*

Thanks Wasp - I'm going to hold off on the starter motor for now in favour of Paul's relay idea (assuming the refitting of the Earth lead and wiggling the terminal on the starter motor all fail!)

Next time you're down my way give me a shout... *wavey*

Cheers,

Paul

From somebody who never suffered from the dreaded click for 5 years then got caught in mid blat in mid France at midday in the middle of a residential area - BURSTING FOR A PEE WITH NOWHERE TO GO *eek* *eek* *eek*- take it from me don't ignore the problem it will bite you when you least want it.

There are three main remedies that aren't hard to apply

1. Check that all the starter cct connections (power and control ccts) and cables are solid - physically and electrically- and in good condition.

2. Fit a heat sheild between your starter motor and exhaust - but don't enclose it.

3. Fit the relay as per Paul Rs article.

Did all three when I got home - 1. seemed to solve the issue but I did 2 and 3 as insurance - and I haven't had a problem for 4 years now *biggrin*

I "fixed" mine with metal putty stuff, essentially keeping the post where it should be...

That lasted maybe 18 months or so (12k miles) and then the metal putty stuff broke...

Taking the starter off was a real PITA - I ended up using the long side of a halfords pro allen key down into the bolt...this got the short end just past the end of the starter motor so onto that I fitted a socket and an extension bar to get decent leverage...

then I could crack them off 😳

---

my mind is blank....

Wasp + hatterpa. Was wondering if either/both of you have been to the Penn 7 monthly meet yet?

Meet up at The Squirrel Penn Street near Amersham last Saturday of every month. There's usually a blat to the pub too 😬