Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec conversion more questions Bellhousing/clutch actuator

wild bill

Right POBC i am installing a 2.3 and have the titan 'long' bell housing to mate to my 6 speed box The ford slave cylinder (as used by Caterham) fits along with the adapter plate however the 2 bleed sleeves do not line up with the 2 access holes drilled in the bellhouse they are about an inch to far away.So call caterham who send a spacer (1cmish) it still doesn't line up so call Titan who say have a bigger spacer (3cm) my worry is that this will not allow full disengage of the clutch and more so as it wears. My choices are wait until Tuesday and see if bigger spacer works (another weekend wasted) or drill 2 access holes further up the bellhouse (in gearbox direction) and fill the current holes with either a plate or 2 very short bolts.

Oh the joy (actually for complete novicelike me i'm kinda enjoying the challenge, keeps me out of the house 😬)

Sorry Bill, only just had you post pointed out to me... Not that I can be of much help, I fear.

I used the shorter bellhousing, on the recommendation of Raceline, in order to bring the engine a little more to the rear of the car - 18mm sticks in my mind.

The slave cylinder that they supplied, fitted perfectly to their bellhousing, with bleed nipple poking out of one hole and the clutch hydraulic line coming from the other.

However, because of the introduction of their dry sump system (now used by Caterham) I needed to change to their new designed bellhousing, giving greater ground clearance. Here, I simply removed the original slave cylinder and bolted it to the replacement bellhousing, with no fitting problems.

Which makes me wonder if perhaps your slave cylinder is the problem. Why not fit the bellhousing to the engine and then you can take a series of measurements from the rear face of the bellhousing to the clutch fingers and the CRB. This would at least establish if you do need a spacer to get the correct position for the CRB and also establish how large the spacer would need to be.

Since my bellhousing is shorter than yours, this makes me think that you will need a spacer to move your slave cylinder nearer to the clutch.

When I have cut down the length of gearbox shafts on other cars, from memory, I have chopped about 20mm off - could this be the approx length of the spacer you need?

Do ring me, if you want to chat this through - I'm out this evening but around all day tomorrow (01444 892127)

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine