Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tillet seat removal

boogs

Picked up my car this evening (Graduates series race prepared) and now trying to make it fit me (6'3" with long legs and size 11 feet so not easy). It has a tillet race seat fitted and I want to remove it as sitting on the floor is going to be the only way. I tried undoing the nuts on the underside but the bolts are just spinning. I can almost get something on the bolt heads at the front of the seat to lock them but cannot get anywhere near the bolts at the rear. The fact that I can't even move the seat forward from outside the car doesn't help as I think the only way would be to sit in the car to do this. Although with the removable steering wheel I can just about sqeeze in, I am in so tightly that there is no way I could move the seat forward (and if I did I would need the fire brigade to get me out!)

Looked at the archives but can only find info on fitting not removing a Tillet seat. Apart from borrowing an angle grinder does anyone have any bright ideas? I'll probably be on the forum again soon when I try and give myself more leg room (pedals already as far forward as they will go) but that's another day.

Good luck. Am only 6'2" and size 10 so don't have the same problem (NOT!). I can't offer any assistance as I have the 1996 'S' type leather seats. However, are you going to replace the seat, and if so what with? I have considered getting a little more leg room in my car by changing my seats, but don't know which ones will give me more room. Any suggestions?

Regards

Marc

CUM B48

I have a Tillet seat. Am 6'2" but of slight build. I can see taller and normal build would have a problem.

It depends how the seat has been fixed?

Is is on runners (yuck heavy/not necessary/you can mount it lower than that, for racing)? If it is then you can run the seat all the way back to expose the 'to the floor' bolts at the front. Yoiu may need a mirror to to be able to see them or do the head in the footwell feet over the roll bar move.

Then run it all the way to the front for the rear bolts.

If no runners then the Seat has 4 threaded bushes set into the base. These take M6 bolts.

If you have the standard Caterham S type seat holes in teh floor then there will be some kind of adaptor I think as the spacing of the holes in the seat and the floor were different on mine.

If not then the bolts should go straight up into the threads in the seat. If they are knackered then

the seat will be difficult to reuse without repair. They look like brass and so will not take overtightening... Have you tried lifting the seat as you undo the bolt....

Is it a glassfibre or Carbon seat? Do you want to sell it?

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Steve, I think the problem is that the seat is fitted on runners, but either they've seized, or the release mechanism has, and so the seat won't move forward easily. I've got the same problem with mine (which means that no-one shorter than me can drive the car 'cos they can't reach the pedals wink.gif), so would be interested in any suggestions as well!

Boogs, I can only suggest the brute force and ignorance approach. Get someone to hold the release lever while you push the seat forward from behind - a crowbar or similar between the bottom of the bulkhead and the seat should work.

The rails tend to be very stiff because of the uneven loading put on them by the transmission tunnel pushing on the side of the seat. If you elongate the holes in the floor to allow the seat to move away from the tunnel, then it should move easier, and go further forward.

6'4", XLarge. Only way for a comfortable fit is a thin bench seat or a foam moulded one.

I currently have a thin bench which is surprisingly comfortable, but partly because my own frame wedges me between tunnel and side. Round circuits rib protectors are worn a la karting practice.

A foam one would give better lumbar support, but am also considering an inflatable Sparco job.

A thick bench might suit you better.

Boogs - should have asked before - are you joining the Grads, or have you simply bought the car? (In which case who's was it?).

Also, re. legroom, I found that getting a smaller steering wheel made a huge difference (and keeping it as a removable one goes without saying).

• Area Representative

I have the perfect solution for the taller driver - foam moulded seats!

Came with my HPC over a month ago and at about 6'2" and (unfortunately blush.gif) a little on the larger side, they are very comfortable for my size. Original driver (for whom they were moulded for) was 6'4" and previous owner was 6'3" so I'm the proverbial short ar*e in the group!

The base has a very high slope for the thigh support and smaller drivers are unable to drive the car without cushions for support - the wife at 5'6" needs two very large cushions to drive the car....

Added bonus is that when I am driving the car and with the full roll cage (about the same height as a tall FIA bar) my head is about 5-6" below the top of the bar. More than adequate space when wearing a helmet. Only slightly different to being in a standard roll bar car with S type seats and my head being about 2-3" ABOVE the top of the bar - dohh!

If anyone wants to have a sit in these seats, they are more than welcome to call round.

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - teeth.gif

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions (and offers to buy the seat via email - if I had 50 seats I could have sold the lot!)

I managed to get the seat out in the end with much brute force and ignorance. Have tried sitting on the floor but even then I will still need the taller roll cage to pass scrutineering so I have taken the runners off the seat and managed to reposition it to give more leg room. I must say it is very comfortable once I'm in - not sure that I'll manage to get myself out in the maximum 5 seconds though. Perhaps I will have to go into training!

Thanks again. John Parker