Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Starter motor relay wiring bypass mfru

AndyG

I would like to wire my K series starter motor direct to the starter button bypassing

The MFRU.

Could anyone help with a summary of what colour wire goes where on a new relay?

andyg

Tantrum the Original

I'd suggest wiring it up from scratch - that's what I ended up doing.

The Chris W Elecktrickery files are on my website if you need a reference to how to wire a relay.

I attached a relay to the engine-bay diagonal and took the relay power-feed from a ring-connector attached to the starter connection that links the alternator to the starter to the battery (or via the FIA switch). I took the relay-earth straight to the battery. The relay output goes straight to the solenoid - and you should just be left with the feed from the starter button itself.

With this arrangement of fresh wiring, it's easy to work through the connections in a logical manner (refering to the diagram on the back of the relay once you are familiar with it) without having to worry too much about which coloured wire is which.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Good advice Myles, but if you cut the white/red wire going into the MFRU, & use this, then you're on the right track.

🙅🏻‍♂️ *idea* Before cutting check that this wire does indeed terminate at your starter switch button. Use a meter & check continuity.

Once this has been confirmed it can then be connected to a separate relay as Myles suggests. Good idea to use a relay with an integral 30amp fuse. Can be purchased from Vehicle Wiring Products.........that reminds me I must buy a spare.

The other way to do this mod is to not bother to take the mfru relay out of the equation, but to use it to fire the new relay. Whoever did the "packages" of relay mods a few years back used that method. Worked well for me.

Graham

That's how I did mine originally (as on the website) - but I found that the connections (especially with those darned scotchlock things) gave me trouble over time. Mind you, my 7 lives outside under a cover - so all connections give me a problem eventually...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com