Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Replacing wiper motor/cable

Nifty

I am taking the car to the Dales at the end of July and need to put the screen back on for Cathy's benefit.

Part of the reason I've been running aero for the last 2 years is that the wiper drive cable broke.

Is it possible to replace the wiper mechanism without removing the scuttle 🤔

If so, how diificult is it and does anyone have any useful tips 🤔

Nifty.

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Nifty

When I rebuilt my car 3 years ago I removed the wiper mechanism & yes you will need to remove the scuttle. The reason why is it's so, so, so, so, much more simple when you can eyeball it plus you'll find the wiring loom is supported by the wiper cable. When I refitted the scuttle I didn't use any sealant as that makes it easier to remove in the future.

Hope this helps.

• Area Representative

Quite easy to remove the wiper motor and cable with the scuttle still in place. If the wiper boxes and cable outers are still in place then its a real doddle!

The motor is held in place by a large U shaped bracket and two 10mm headed bolts. Undo these bolts and the large nut that secures the wiper motor to the cable outer (19mm perhaps?) and undo the electrical connector. The motor can be removed now. You will be able to see the end of the drive cable and this can be pulled out too. Its a bit easier if you wind the the wiper spindles by hand to help the cable come through.

Re-assembly is simply the reversal of the above. Should take less than an hour to take apart and put back together again.

HTH

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - But trying to get into Class 1...