Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo stopped working

Cookie Monster

On the way back from the F&C run it packed up along with the odometer.

Have done a quick search & it would appear to be either:

Cable full of oil(gearbox seal gone)

Cable busted - but I think its electronic. car is an R300, 2003 model.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Phil.

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 28 Jun 2009 08:36:55

Edited by - Cookie Monster on 28 Jun 2009 09:10:01

Phil,

first you need to check whether it is electronic or mechanical- is there a drive cable coming from the back of the speedo, through the bulkhead and looping down to the gearbox?

Graham

============

A7 KUB

Def electronic as there is no cable just a multi connector on the back of the speedo.

Just went out for a blat to Halfords for some Rain X for my helmet visor & thought I heard banging fom underneath.

Jacked car up to find speedo drive hanging down on the wire next to the gearbox.

Have reinserted the cable(about 1/8th of an inch) into the corresponding bit on the gearbox but it seems a rubbish (push it in)fit & nothing much to keep it there.Surely this can't be right?

I managed to access it from within the car by removing the grommets on the trans tunnel but think I need to get it on a ramp to have a proper look.

Although the speedo works again its only a matter of time before the head falls out of the gearbox again.

Thanks for the advise so far.

Phil.

There is a circlip and a screw on 'knob' - at least on my 5 spd Sierra. The whole affair is a bit of a joke imho because the clip is a pain to get in (and know it's seated) and the knob loves to spin the drive when it begins to get tight.

Mine's got an angle drive off the gearbox. the angle drive is held on with a circlip and god heolp you if that's come away refittign it is a proper pita. Hopefully your speedo cable has just spun itself loose and you can reinsert it to the angle drive and do up the knurled round collar to hold it in place. If you do this, do check that the 1mm square section connecting piece doesn't fall out of the speedo cable whilst you're doing it up or nothing will happen no matter how well done up it is.