Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery replacement options

caterhamnut

Powervamp is very good, my engine spins much faster when cranking than it ever did with the Banner - but they don't like a parasitic load - so if you leave it for a long time with the immobiliser set then it will discharge and can be permanently damaged - an expensive mistake you don't want to make. I think the price is now over £90 though, but you might get free postage from Ed as you are a club member. A little battery conditioner left plugged in will help enormously if you have power near where you park the car.

Hi angus

I have a Delco Freedom Battery mounted where the heater use to be and despite the cars irregular use in recent years they been fine the first one was fitted in 2000 and I replaced it in 2007 but only as it was getting tired might have got another year out of it if I used the car more often.

I think the cut out switch helps as with that off power drain is nil when not in use.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

• 6 months later...

Wow Rob, that was a fast response :)

Ok, I spoke to a very nice chap called Henry who gave me their equivaltent to a Varley Red Top 25. They use this in a number of Kitcars and sponsor a race series.

Link to Battery

About £45 delivered I think, which is a great price.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 20 Jan 2010 15:18:03

Just be aware that the GP12200 battery linked to above, that they say is equivalent to a Varley Redtop 25, is not the same spec.

For example the GP12200 has a Crank current of 230 amps, whereas the

Powervamp PVR25 (similar to the red top 25) has a crank current of 680 amps.

Now crank current is by no means the only parameter to consider, but it does indicate that not all 'equivalents' are the same

Same problem for me, forgot/too lazy to attatch the conditioner - so now the banner unit won't take any charge and the whole thing is flat as a pancake.

What's the best way to fit the poweramp unit in to the Sigma bulkhead based battery tray, it's a lot narrower than the one I'll be taking out. Can they go on their side, or should I put it upright and use the existing clamp with a space all the way around it?

Sorry for the stupid question!

David

Gel batteries can be used on their sides etc... but not upside down.

I ordered a cage from ebay... item number : 190284360846

It was about £16 and should fit all "25" type batteries.

Also note that you may need to change the ends of the leads as they have smaller bolt on posts.

Jonathan

Normalisdull

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edit for speeling

Edited by - jonboylaw on 25 Jan 2010 16:57:59

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A powervamp has very low self-discharge, to the point where if it is fully charged and disconnected, it can be left for 6 months and will still be nearly fully charged.

If there is a load on it such as an immobiliser then I've had no problems with a Tronix-T4X conditioner plugged in all the time.

Rally Design are doing a bulk buy offer on a similar own-branded item, but in batches of 6 only. It might be worth seeing if there is still sufficient interest here *wink*