Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery replacement options

caterhamnut

Fed up with going through Banner batteries (on my 4th I think) - they work fine until you discharge them, then never the same - my engine needs a few more turn-overs than usual at the moment, and this one has now dies - or at least is not accepting a charge - 4 month lay-off thinking diff had gone finally killed it.

Anyway, I need to replace it. Was going to pop down to Halfords and pick up a small 'normal' car battery, and also relocate to bulkhead (fabricate a larger tray etc)

I'm not fussed about the extra weight in the grand scheme of things, but the extra 'oomf' would be good.

Was shocked to find the cheapest battery in Halfords is now just under £70!

Where else can I try - someone said Costco do them...?

Angus's Adventures in Sevenland

I've got a Varta battery of the same size - needed a little tweeking of the top strap to fit it between the cell caps. 4 yr warranty from my supplier. Receipt is at home, but car is outside . . if I remember, I'll go look at lunchtime to see the part number.

Although it might be a Yuasa, rather than a Varta now I think about it . . .

Bri

Edited by - Bricol on 25 Jun 2009 07:16:35

Angus, whatever you get invest in a conditioner.

My first Red Top lasted 5 years and the one on their now is 3 years old.

Also try connecting a large battery via jump leads and connecting a charger to the slave battery. This can bring a discharged battery back to life if left on overnight.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

You'll get a dry cell battery cheaper than that straight from Ed Roller @ Powervamp
*thumbup* *wink*

The Odyssey PC680 in my racecar sat for 8 months untouched and unconnected in the garage and still read 12.9v when I put the meter on it *idea*

Angus I would thoroughly recommend the Powervamp Battery. See previous threads on them in tech talk. they are 'captured acid' which is impregnated into the plates and so the battery can be mounted in a lot of positions on their side etc.

also small and I think lighter than the admittedly good banner. I have a 93 Xflow which necessitated taking off the carbs, steering column, ect. to get it out. The powervamp is small enough to slip out from underneath. Much better

Good timing thread... *thumbup*

My Banner doesn't appear to be holding now either. Was always on conditioner but was dead when I got car back. Been on charge since last Tue but doesn't hold for long.

Mine is currently under carbs and can't be removed without removing these, so I'm very interested in smaller version for same location.

What model No. for 2.0 VX?

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - stolen with trailer 27/03/09... found 11/06/09 😬... now under repair

No complaints at all about the Powervamp!

Spoke to Ed Roller, who was surprised he was still being mentioned on the forum, and appreciated the coverage.

A bit more expensive but well worth it in terms of quality.

I replaced a very worn out Banner with it, and it has so much turning power in my little 1.4 K-series that it practically flips the car over when I turn the key. It may just be me but I'm sure the car actually runs smoother and is less prone to stalling when cold thanks to the extra juice.

*thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*