Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dismantling Steering Rack

Throbin

Anyone know how to dismantle a Caterham stering rack. I've removed the gaitors and there is a large nut at each end that appears to have some sort of "lock" on it. Does anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks,

Robin.

I had a go once on a rack that had been trashed in an accident. I think there is a nut hidden underneath the cover on the bottom of the rack (i.e. opposite the big-nut adjuster that sits on the top).

For the life of me, I could not get the cap/cover off - I wasn't worried about trashing it either - so I wasn't being subtle.

Good-luck!

If you do find a way in, let-us know. I've got another rack somewhere that I'd like to pull apart and either service or trash.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I don't know Caterham racks in particular very well but I do know steering gears, in general, well.

The large nuts on on each end of the steering rack are the inner ball joints (IBJ), they are often retained by locking tab washers, by peening the IBJ housing into a slot in the rack, by loctite or similar or simple by accurate torquing. In your case what does the "lock" look like ?

If you intend to remove the IBJ's (& you must if you are going to remove the rack from the housing) be very careful that you support the rack itself properly (not the housing) - fail to do this and you will end up with a bent pinion. Proberbly the best way is to put a large open ended spanner over the rack at the teeth flats and undo against this.

• Area Representative
The caps that fix the ball joint on the inner end of the track rod to the rack, are normall locked in place with a peg that is peened into a hole that is drilled, half in the cap and half in the locknut. The peg can be drilled out, then the cap and locknut can be unscrewed.

I may have described it in detail on my accident rebuild. I'll have a look.

No, sorry. There's a picture of the damage and a picture of the re-assembled rack but no explanation.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 23 Jun 2009 21:46:10

The rack in question is a standard 8% rack frim the 98/99 era. I'll have a closer look at the "pin" over the weekend to see if it can be drifted out or needs to be drilled.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Robin.