Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petrol Tank Hissing

jonsharland

This may be due to a blocked/ compromised fuel tank breather creating a partial vacuum in the tank as the fuel is used - hence the hiss when the fuel cap is removed

Just a guess, but maybe worth a check...

Phil

Given the weather I suspect it will be excess pressure venting rather than a partial vacuum, petrol expands and vaporises mightily in hot weather. Most cars do do it (pressure relief valve ?). I don't know if breather fitted to all 7s.

Whilst on the subject the accepted wisdom is I believe to replace the factory fitted short breather hose with a longer one that loops up the roll bar and then back down again to below the tank. This stops fuel sloshing out under hard cornering or leaking out if you find yourself upside down.

Edited by - simos on 17 Jul 2002 10:27:14

Hi Jon,

mine was doing this before I took it to Caterham for PBC. I told them that I wanted it looking at and was told "Lots of cars do that". When I received the car back again though I noticed my keyring now had two petrol filler keys rather than one. They'd changed the filler cap for a vented one but forgot to tell me.

The plastic part on the inside of the cap was black on the original but the cap now fitted is blue inside. Maybe the colour denotes vented or not. Anyway, emptying a tank from full on a hot day caused no hiss when I went to fill up again.

Hope this helps,

/Phil.