Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

can HGF snap the alternator and DS belts?!

olij

my engine broke at a castle combe trackday on friday, has anyone had a similar failure to below?...

Braking and changing down into a right hand corner, heard a belt snap/flap about and the engine cut out. Pulled off straight away. Towed back to the pits and found both the alternator and dry sump belts are missing. It was parked half on my trailer and then i noticed most of the contents of the coolant system ran out of the exhaust header joints and onto the floor.....

So header tank completely empty and no dry sump or alternator belts... both belts effectively brand new following recent engine swap, correctly tensioned.

could severe HGF cause hydraulic lock and snap the belts? is this possible *eek*, or is this just a nasty coincidence... *confused*

Edited by - olij on 22 Jun 2009 12:51:24

It could be that one of those belts has snapped and taken the other with it.

Best bet is to replace both belts (inspecting the pulleys) and start up to see what, if any, damage has been done.

Even a siezed engine due to a bore full of coolant shouldn't snap a belt.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

on mine the DS belt is outside the alternator belt, so if the alternator belt came off it would most likely take the DS belt with it.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car - stolen with trailer 27/03/09... found 11/06/09 😬... now under repair

It would makes sense that one belt could take the other with it, however if the HG has goone in such a big way it also possible that the engine hydraulic locked. Not wanting to look at the worst case but this can cause belts to snap when the engine stops so quick but the interia of other components continues. In which case you are likely to be looking at much bigger repairs.

It may be worth draining the coolant, empty the bores, check the cam timing, fit a new pump belt and seeing if it will fire. If it runs OK then just a head gasket, if not look further for failed internals.

Did the back axle lock up at all during the incident?

I had a similar problem when I had the rear drivers side brake pad fail.

The oil had got on the brake disk from the exhaust tail pipe from the cylinder head that that the valve go through the piston which caused the oil pump to size and snap the belt.

inspect the cam belt, then compression test is required and then probably be ina position to diagnose the failure ☹️

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al