Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Crash Repairs

principalgreg

Had a smashing track day at Mallory recently with my lads. The day was only marred by Dad getting out of shape at the Devil's Elbow and leaving the track backwards across the marbles and into the 'wall' on the infield. Fortunately, the car was slowed by the marbles and the large vynil covered foam blocks that line the actual wall aborbed much of the impact.

The car looks a bit sad now and will need repairs to the rear panels and wings. I can't tell how much damage there is to the chasis, but the rear rails are definitely out of wack. I guess I'm going to have to get the chasis checked out by someone with experience of this sort of thing.

Curiously, a search on 'crash repairs' and the like, turned up no entries. I can't be the only unfortunate, so any guide to relevant entries would be very welcome. If you can give any advice on reliable repairers, I would like to hear from you.

No more track days this year. It's turned into a project!

Hi Steve, unfortunately not. That was something that I was going to sort out at renewal! I suspect that the excess would be pretty big, so don't know how much of the damage it would end up covering. As my boys are 21 and 9, I doubt that they would be covered.

Older and wiser!

Greg

I was in the red Seven in the next garage to you (with the loose alternator that you helped me with) *wavey* I wondered where you had gone *eek*- had a feeling that was your car in the barrier. Hope you escaped un hurt. (I posted a "spotted" for you the next day actually)

I am not 100% on this - but am sure someone will be along to confirm or put forward a different suggestion but I understand that Arch are the chassis repairers of choice as they make the chassis for Caterham.

Good luck and hope it doesn't work out too expensive *thumbup*

Hi Dyrill, I think you guys must have been out on the track when we collected our stuff from the garage. We were fine; Charlie had a bit of a sore neck for a day and I had a bruise where I hit the side of the cockpit. Will had a spin at the same spot last year. I think the car goes light on the exit and we were taking a line well to the left. It was a bit of a surprise as I had put in six or seven very fast laps taking much the same line just before our 'off'.

Still, we had had a grand day and I love this circuit. Sorry to interupt your fun!

I think I'll give Arch a call and have a chat. Might send them a photo so I can get soem guidance on doing some of the stripping myelf.

*thumbup* Best of luck with it, this is a great club by the way, very friendly and helpful - I am sure that if you make contact with your local area members, they will give you plenty of advice on getting it sorted.

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. I am quite keen to do some fettling, so I am happy to do some of the stripping out myself. The rear wings are shot, as you can imagine and the rear looks a bit sad, but can't be sure what the damage to the chasis is. Someone was telling me that the rear is double skinned and rather tricky to sort, but it looks like simple single skin as far as I can see. Mind you, I haven't had the heart to get it out for a thorough examination yet!

Earlier that day, one of the front mudguards flew off as I took a little too much kerb in one bend. I was amazed to realise that they are only attached by what looks like dollops of mastic. I notice some cars have rivetted muguards and I think this might be a wise step to take whileI'm sorting the car out.

As everyone else has said to talk to Arch (01480 459661)

A friends 7 had a rear impact on circuit (nothing too hard). We stripped it down and took the chassis over to Bruce, the rear panel was removed, reworked and refitted to a whole new rear frame.

Next stop was CJ Tallis in Hinckley for a repaint of the rear and some minor damage to the side, end result was like new.

Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you, I'm in Rugby.

Gordon

The name's Puff, Powder Puff

N7XTC

Hi Gordon, I'm based in Kineton. As I work away in the week, I haven't made any of the local metings of what seems to be a active branch. Thanks for the info. The car will need some paint, not just on a new rear panel. The marbles gave the paint on one side a right pebble dashing! What kind of money did your friend have to lay out?

It was a few years ago that we did it so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think we even got to £1000 all in.

If you want a hand at any point or to talk through what we did drop me an e-mail to gordon@n7xtc.co.uk with your contact details and I'll get in touch.

Have you got a trailer?

Just been through the crash repair process myself (and yes it was uninsured). In my case needed a new long front, and I decided to have it fully repannelled (which was optional for most of them).

The only place for these repairs is Arch (assuming you have a non metric chassis). The choice you have is in whether you strip the car yourself, or pay for someone to do it for you (I went for the diy approach). Assuming the damage is just the rear, then that's all you should need to strip. As a first step talk to Bruce at arch - he will be able to indicate what's the likely repair and the preparation required. Turnaround for mine was 3-4 weeks, and given what I had done I thought the costs were reasonable.

I had mine painted by TSK down in Erith (near Dartford). TSK paint most (all?) the cars from the factory, so are very familiar with the job. Give Tony a call to discuss what's required. His turnaround for mine was a week. Again I thought the costs were very reasonable.

Both Bruce and Tony are a pleasure to deal with - and both clearly have a passion for what they do. Both jobs were executed to a very high quality, and I am very pleased with the end result.

edit to correct the town....

Edited by - davef on 20 Jun 2009 09:21:30

Certainly TSK & Arch will liaise & sort out the transport bit; they did for me at my rebuild.

On the subject of TD insurance: the excess is usually quite high & there is a premium to pay. If you do quite a number of events over say 5 years, & are unfortunate to need a long front say every 5 years, then it will probably be cheaper to self insure. Let's face it this is a DIY car & most owners don't mind getting their hands dirty, & as labour is the majority of the cost, that saves quite a bit.

Just look on this as part of the learning curve & plan what upgrades to fit whilst it's apart.

Dave, thanks for the advice. In response to all the advice to date, I will be dragging the car out tomorrow to photograph the damage and get on the phone to Arch next week. If I can e mail them some photos, they should be able to give me a guide as to what's worth stripping and the options open to me.

I will be taking the oppoportunity to fit a new set of tyres. Now there's a subject with dizzying possibilities!

Mick, I am fairly philosophical about my off. I've been doing track days for two years with my sons (now 19 and 21) and had to face the possibility that one of them would stuff it. At least it was me! I will explore the Caterham Insurance deal. Ive been with Flux to date, but Catewrham include track day cover. I am sure there is less to this tham meets the eye. Let's face it, we are ragging it out there and something is going to get bent occasionally. They know this as well as us. Useful if you total it, of course!

You know, I can never understand those 'never tracked' adverts. Why have a Seven if you're not going to try your hand?

The mods thing occurred to me. It's got wide track, uprated shocks and brakes and LSD. 'It's also been cornered'. So, looks like some engine tweeks. Another 20 or 40 bhp would be nice, what's the best route to take? I will definitely be getting ome stickier tyres. I've been running the original Potenzas which have been great, but I don't use it on the road any more, so I can afford something which is less of a compromise.

Useful if you total it, of course!
But is it ever a total?? If the worst comes to the worst then it's a new chassis, nice new shiny panels & a new paint scheme of your choice. If you were to sell & upgrade there would be a cost to change. Just look on the ultimate "off" as the opportunity for a new car in the shape of a rebuilt old car.