Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Filling an LSD

Drumster

Just fitted an ZF LSD to the car and Phil at R&RT said it would probably need 900ml/1l.

Just poured the whole contents of a litre bottle in and it's not dripping out of the filler. Everyone seems to suggest topping a diff up until it overflows.

Just wondering if you need to do that when starting with an empty diff IYSWIM?

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

Richard,

I guess we have different diffs hence the different recommendations from Phil; mine is a ZF and I'm guessing yours is a Titan?

I'm using Silkolene BOA 90LS, so not sure if that should be mixed with your Castrol? I'll speak to R&RT tomorrow and text you at some stage. Thanks.

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

A note of caution though. While the amount going in is probably the required one, the one that the diff will spit out from the breather hole is quite a lot. You will be okay on the road, but if you take it to the track (or drive closer to the limits), the diff will start spewing oil all over the driver's side wheel and suspension - very messy. ☹️

You may want to consider designing some form of a catch tank. I used an empty plastic bottle and a silicone hose. No more mess. *thumbup*