Click here if you are having website access problems ×

taking LSD

yankeedoodoo

AP or ZF? I recollect a topic some months ago comparing the relative merits of each. Could some one who is not out on blat at the moment provide a link to that discussion? Or further amplication on the pluses and minuses of each for road and track use? Thanks in advance for whatever comes back. Also, I suggest that when club members visit the USA that you let us know in advance as some of us might be willing to do some motoring/carousing or whatever. Off the topic but I'm in stream of conscious mode post work.

Can't recall where the link is but I think it goes something like:

AP - more fit and forget. OK for cars with lower power outputs.

ZF - need more care with servicing etc (relatively) and are OK with high power outputs.

I think the reason for the power comments is because when you lift a wheel with an AP, on returning to the ground all the shock loads are transmitted back down the drivetrain and it can cause premature wear on the gearbox etc. The ZF doesn't do this.

I'm also not sure that the AP diff is still available?

Go ZF but make sure you get the preload and ramp angles double checked (40lbsft and 30deg respectively are in the memory banks from somewhere).

Can I just add one more to the equation. I have just had a Quaife ATB fitted to my K 1600 Supersport (130 BHP). This was well and truly put through its paces last weekend on the trackday and sprint at Llandow and came through with flying colours. The back end really sticks under hard cornering and when then limit is reached the breakaway is both smooth and controllable.

Well worth the money.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I am running a zetec @ about 210HP. If the preload and ramp angle were not correct what might be the consequences/symptoms? The rear end/diff has a very loud whine directly related to RPM's which is eventually drowned out by road noise. Am still trying to figure out how to cure this howling and am searching for clues. Thanks to all respondents.

With 210bhp you want a ZF.

Incorrect ramp angles and preload will lead to rampant understeer IIRC. Of the sort that is tough to dial out through other means. So as with all things you should aim to cure it at source.

Diff whine is a down side of diffs. Some are "bad". Some are worse. I like drivetrain noise personally. Tends to drown out the whining from the passenger sdeat smile.gif

Gents: Thank you very much for downloading your experience in diifs. A few short posts and I'm much the wiser. The car is dead neutral around the limit so the diff must be reasonably well installed. The whining noise is just so loud it's hard toe won't be a failure in my future. Thanks again and contact me if any of you need to be properly entertained whilst in So. Cal.