Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow starting woesFixed

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Last week on the way to Pembrey, the car would not start. (Xflow on 3D ignition, otherwise fairly standard) - It was as if the battery was dead - starter motor would only just turn over, and there was an unusual "clonk". We connected jump leads to another car, but there was no change at all.

We then tried to bump start the car - no joy. Finally we towed it behind Simon Rogers van and finally it started (but really did NOT want to go). However, once started It then ran fine for the rest of the day and 200 miles home.

The car has been on a battery condtioner for the past few days -tried to start it - same problem - starter motor barely turning over and again, a rather nasty sounding "clonk" -

Any ideas where to start? I guess whip the starter motor out and look for anything obvious -what else?

Edited by - mcalvert on 13 Jun 2009 15:45:46

Michael, Can you expand on this "clonk". Can you get Tammy to operate the starter and you listen to where it's coming from. If neccassary use a long screwdriver as a "stethoscope" to pinpoint it.

It could be the starter pinion, which in turn is jamming the starter causing it not to turn.

If you can good jump leads and good connections and it was the same you can didcount the battery.

If it did start and was OK after it suggests that something has broken jamming or putting a strain on the starter. It also, therefore suggests that whatever it was has either refitted itself or broken off.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

The clonk is probably your solonoid operating, but there is not enough in the battery to turn the motor over enough to start the engine, or as mentioned already the starter bendix is just getting jammed because of wear. Seems strange though that a jump didn't work, points to the bendix or starter ring.

With the 3d ignition, it's usually necessary to press the accelerator pedal slightly because of the ignition advance

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Edited by - johnjulie on 13 Jun 2009 08:00:31

I've had a similar problem recently on my K.

Even shortly after charging, while it didn't seem to lack power it seemed to struggle to turn over and catch, especially when cold. Booster pack, would get the car started but still with a bit of a struggle.

New battery has been a revalation *thumbup*

Is there a new battery you can borrow to at least exclude the simplest possible fix?

Whatever it is , good luck with it

Edited by - FlymoFraser on 13 Jun 2009 08:38:35

Sorry to hear of your woes. So far THIS YEAR I have changed my alternator (twice!), starter, battery, and new coil just been ordered!!

Go to a local auto electrician who will sort this in minutes!

He will check the earthing, condition of the battery, whether the alt is charging (or overcharging which could fry your battery!). He may also be able to check the starter operation.

I think its the battery, cos turns over too slowly, and will not take the conditioner charge. It will not allow enough current to pass on a jumo, but alternator is effectively powering the elecrtics directly when driven on the road. The clonk is the sound you get when a starter is not getting enough juice to throw the gear that engages with the ring.

Could also be a bad earth (easy to clean up, just above the starter motor, big bolt on the bell housing). I am going to assume your battery terminals are clean and fully tightened....!

Check out Hal... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dalongbloke

Edited by - dalongbloke on 13 Jun 2009 09:44:34

Battery and earth are my suspects - if you can borrow a battery as said it would be a 5 minute job to prove/disprove it. I know Norm is far more experienced than me but I have had batteries on cars be so fcuked that even jumping they wouldn't start.

Dicks

(ps wheels are still very good, thank-you *thumbup*)

On my X-flow, the starter motor (older bendix type) had a habit of undoing its two internal clamping screws to the extent that you could move the body up and down.

Needless to say this impaired the starting performance somewhat!

However, even when it was freshly tightened it struggled to turn over, and a new battery made all the difference.

I later replaced the starter, -with a motor factors one, nothing fancy!- and this again improved the starting also.

The battery made the biggest difference tho.

I suggest you start there.

P

• Leadership Team

Many thanks for all your advice. Problem now fixed - it was actually the starter motor (only 7 months old *mad*) - the casing was breaking down and the whole assembly was twisting, to the extent that it seemed to be actually stopping the flywheel from turning freely.

Changed and all now fine again!

Michael.