Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

which Sat Nav ?

s7eve

I use the Nuvi 350and I've been happy with it. Google Maps offers the capability to download routes for TomTom and Garmin satnavs BUT not all the Garmins can upload them. If this kind of route plan is important to you, make sure you pick the right model.

Also, my Nuvi seems to think that 'avoid motorways' means 'only choose roads that have a strip of grass growing alomg the middle of them' (and I don't mean the central reservation!).

Edited due to senile dyslexia

Steve

Bonnie Babies Charity Appeal

Edited by - Bellissimmo on 10 Jun 2009 12:30:02

A lot of GPS Car navigation systems are basically concerned in getting you to a specific destination. So be warned if you like setting up Routes for touring you need a different animal, Personally I like one where the route planning can be done in comfort at home on a PC and then routes , way points, maps can all be updated to the unit. In 2005 I and some others traversed the USA in our se7ens, All the route planning was done at home and uploaded to the vehicle units It worked a treat even in some of the minor towns across the USA, and coming into SF late at nigh in dark was wee buns. Different manufacturers have different capabilities as to how many way points or routes you can store so do your research carefully. If you require this functionality you may require a more expensive unit. 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

I use CoPilot on my PDA. I tried TomTom (on the same PDA) and found that it was not as responsive as CoPilot - on occasion, it told me to turn either at or just after a junction has passed. I believe the BMW and Mini SatNav systems are based on CoPilot (though whether that's a recommendation I'll leave to you).

I echo Johnty's thoughts about planning. A small screen is no place to plan routes and CoPilot comes with appropriate desktop software. My only criticism is that the optional traffic announcements are particularly average in terms of accuracy - but that's true of most of these systems, I believe.

Andy

Blackberry maps is slower than google to load and google have just upated thier version to include walking and public transport. It's alright - I have used it when using hire cars abroad and in the Seven. You can get software by several companies for Blackberry such as TelNav which i think is about £45 ish and this works as normal sat nav i.e. talks to you, has 3D maps etc. worth having a look before spending £99 or whatever the cost of a nuvi etc is nowadays. I think the Vodafone blackerry has it as standard so if you pop into a vodafone store you should be able to see it action.

ooh hang on - There is a free trial here *thumbup*

Nüvi 760T *thumbup*

And with Mapsource (not supplied with this unit) you can make a (detailed) route on your PC and then download this into the device ... *thumbup*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Flanders AO - l7C.flanders.ao@telenet.be

The new TomTom Home allows you to design a route on their Google style map routing page, then upload it. Seems to work fine and of course it uses the same routing data as the hardware, so there are no "arguments" between google maps and the hardware about which way you should be going.

The user interfaces seem to very much a personal thing. I've never really got on with the Garmin UI and find the TT one very intuitive, but I see plenty of people who are completely the opposite. Horses for courses.

R300GRR specced and ordered for a winter build