Click here if you are having website access problems ×

side mounted tax disc holder

Vogon SuperTrooper

In an attempt to prevent my tax disc being nicked (again) I've bought a motorbike one which I want to attach to the windsrceen mounts.

Question: if I undo the allen screw on the triangular bit of the windscreen mount am I going to hear a faint 'donk' as a retaining screw falls off the back, into the space to which I have no access to because of all that black cardboardy 'trim'?

And if the answer's 'no' above, should I be delighted and proceed or be pointed on a different course?

many thanks

Chalres

• Leadership Team

Charles,

DON'T undo the Allen bolt without access to the rear (so to speak!).

The bolt is attached to a lock nut, which if your lucky to loosen it will then just continue to turn and will remain loose. You need to gain access behind the panel.

When you do fit the tax disc holder, seal in the license with some silicon sealant otherwise it will get damp in the rain! I haven't yet found a waterproof one, CF ones included!

Stu.

Charles,

I fitted a m/cycle tax disc holder to the windscreen mount and had to remove the knee trim panel. This is quite a simple job but does involve drilling out the pop rivets securing the panel in place. After fitting the tax holder, the panel is simply pop rivetted back in place. Then with a black indelible marker the rivet heads can be blacked out to match the original. With the right tools it should only take 1/2 hour.

Brent

The std m/cycle ones are ok, but I recently invested in the item available from James Whitings emporium. Not cheap, but beautifully CNC'd and supplied with 'O' ring seal & allen key.

A lovely bit o' kit! (No, I'm not on 10%). The aforementioned info re. nylocs on the back of the socket cap bolts is correct. If your car is 'Superlight' spec or above(!) you won't have the internal panel to worry about. I have and used black crosshead self tappers instead of pop rivets to refasten the cover.

I've got one of James Whitings ones as well - smart piece of kit. You can get behind the panel with a spanner if you try hard enough, then use a magnetic retrieving tool to get the nut and washer back. You can then reassemble it using a closed ring spanner with the washer blu-tacked to it. Damned fiddly but it can be done. Stupid thing is that I did this and then drilled the panel out later to take the screen off. Replacing the panels with self tapping screw works well and makes it much easier to change the tax disc, remove the screen and look at the wiring on the kill switch etc.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 8 Sep 2000 00:14:56

How much is the James Whiting holder? The m/cycle one I bought is St/Steel with 'O' ring and dinky little nyloc nuts/socket head screws holding it together. The price was £9.99 from Motorcycle City in Farnborough, Hampshire. Not bad I thought, mind you that was 3 years ago but shouldn,t be too much more now.

Edited by - brent chiswick on 8 Sep 2000 18:21:41

Brent

All I can say is if they wanted it in one piece then they may as well take the 'screen as well 'cos they'd have had to have removed most of it to get the holder off!!!!!!!! With the top held on with small socket cap screws it is a lot less likely that a light fingered individual will nick the disc. After all, the std. motorcycle ones normally have a screw on top (that leaks & leaves the tax disc a mouldy mess!).