Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres (again!)

Steve Causey

Sorry, I know there have been many treads on this but after 4 events the bug has bitten and it's time to ditch the Avon CR322's. So what's the advice? In addition to sprints I still want to use the car on the road. From what I've gathered the options seem to be:

A) Stay with 13" wheels and go to 185/60R13 Yokohama A539's. I believe these have a slightly smaller rolling radius (aprox 5%).

B) Go up to 15" wheels with Stunner Scudos. What size tyres are recommended and where do I get them and the wheels to go with them? Does anyone know what the rolling radius is?

Appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Steve.

• Area Representative

Steve,

If you do decide to go 15", then most of us using Stunners are using 195/45-15.

I paid £37 each fitted a few months ago, and was able to get a set at £33 each supply only just before Goodwood.

195/45-15's are about the same rolling diameter as 185/60-13's.

The small reduction in diameter from your current CR322's may give another small advantage, with a reduction in ride height, and a reduction in gearing, giving slightly better acceleration.

I think there is a small advantage in running the 15" wheels and tyres, but I'd say it is a very small advantage. Maybe two or three tenths on a typical sprint.

Steve

This here will give you the comparison figures.

I ran on 14 inch A539s in my first season and now run stunners, there is a tiny advantage but unfortunately for me you need to be a good driver to capitalise on it *cry*

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Steve,

Is your car Live axle or Dedion? If live, you might have some trouble getting 15" wheels with the correct pcd.

I've not driven on Stunners nor 15" wheels, but a fresh-ish set of A539's (Oct 08) seem to be working pretty well this year for me - As Mark suggests they can't have hampered me too much in the dry, I've been very impressed with their wet weather performance too.

I guess it's a function of cost. Perhaps you should replace your CR322's with A539's for the time being, they will easily last you for the rest of the season, source a second set of wheels at your leisure for some Stunners and sell the ones you least prefer after doing some testing.

Al